Wednesday

La Belle Michelle - Ultimate Golf Girl Back With the Guys

And she's "pretty confident" too, so deal with it! As she gets ready to play in the Japan Tour's Casio World Open, Michelle seems unfazed by the fact that she finished dead last in her most recent attempts to play with the lads. And though she missed the cut by a shot at this same event last year, she seems quite sure this year'll be different. "I worked my butt off so I hope to do well this year." said the tenacious teen.

Much maligned for mixing it up with the men, Michelle remains steadfast in her goal "to get to the Masters". Her detractors have suggested she should play with the ladies for a couple of years before trying to whip the guys...they've asked her sponsors not to give her any more exemptions. Well, Michelle's not having any of it. She's pretty much ignored the criticism, and she's got a nice exemption from Sony that'll have her competing at the Sony Open in January. And as for the Masters, she recently said, "That is still my No 1 goal. And since I've set it pretty high, it's going to stay that way for a long time." Now to me, this doesn't sound flippy or overblown or delusional. To me this sounds like a determined young lady with a lofty goal, one that she intends to pursue, despite criticism, for as long as it takes.

Michelle in Japan earlier this week, practicing for the Casio World Open under the watchful eyes of Mom and Dad. I'm hoping this family will have something to celebrate at Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. she's really a talented player, i can only imagine where she will go from here

    lost
    www.lost.eu/51ec

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a waste of everyones time to have to see her indulge her fantasy of being as good as the guys. Actually I don't think its her I think it her parents and managers and thats a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with anonymous - the picture of her practicing under Mommy and Daddy's watchful eyes makes me think that this is an exercise of Daddy's dream that his one and only will play in the big tournament that Daddy wasn't good enough to play in himself...

    And a very talented young woman golfer is caught in the eye of this delusional fantasy...

    Sad....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny, I don't see it that way at all. Watching her in interviews she appears to be supremely confident and completely happy. She readily acknowledges that she'll probably be working for a long time on her goal of playing the Masters. That indicates to me that she's absolutely not delusional but rather, quite realistic and grounded. In fact I see her being the one advocating to play with the men, more that her parents. But that's just my opinion base on feelings I get from watching her... closely. Anyway, as you might of surmised, I'm a huge Michelle Wie fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have clarified my point - it's her DAD'S delusional fantasy...

    I, too, am a MW fan, but I'd prefer to see her dominate the LPGA first, before seeing her take on the men...

    She needs to learn to WIN first, before she's ready to compete effectively, on EITHER tour, and she has a better chance of winning on the LPGA, given her prodigious talent and potential...

    Another shade of gray... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 81 after the first round at Casio...Seems like Wie's mental preparation is not there....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I understand this blog. On one hand you hype up attractive female players and talk about their outfits, which I agree with, it is keeping women as eye candy, and not premiere athletes. On the other you slip into grrl power mode and talk about how great MW is with playing in men's events, when she's just a sideshow. As a female, she is a tremendous golfer, and as a female, she has a great future and is a prodigy who will do great things. But as a serious competitor...

    ReplyDelete
  8. she missed a cut for some golf thing she was 17 over par

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...