Wednesday

Big Break VI: It Paid Off...for Golf Girl Bri, At Least


I posted at length about this in early October so I'm not going to waste much ink many keystrokes on it here. In retrospect, it didn't merit many in the first place, but what did I know then.

The debut episode of Big Break VI had just aired and and we were busy debating it's merits as a slickly produced reality show vs. a rather lame golf show... wondering if it would find it's promised cross-over audience thanks to the presence the morbidly fascinating Donald Trump and several hot Golf Girl contestants. Well, aparently it did. And it ultimately became wildly popular, both ratings-wise and on the Golf Channel discussion boards, where golf curmudgeons bickered at length about which of the girls was in fact, the hottest. But tragically, somewhere along the line, the Big Break quickly became a big bore. At least according to golf writer Tim McDonald. And I have to agree. After the first couple of episodes I kind of forgot all about The Big Break till last night when a winner finally prevailed. And imagine my delight when that winner was Briana, the beeatchy, brunette bra-fitter from MA! If you go back to my post from October you'll see that she was my pick from the get-go. (Insert smug, self-satisfied emoticon here) And maybe, outside of the hyper-edited reality show format we'll be able to see what she's really like.

6 comments:

  1. Slight snofu darling...it took you a couple of weeks to realise that Bri was the winner....and I thought you're on top of things !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only watched the series sporadically, because the switching between the guys/girls format quickly got tedious for me...

    Interestingly enough, I caught the first episode, and they were portraying Bri as a nervous, unconfident player that was sure to be eliminated quickly...

    Over the few ensuing weeks that I watched, or skipped through the TiVo'd episodes, my two favorite ladies made it through to the finals...

    The final show was SO tedious, that I only skipped through the TiVo'd episode, watching only the women's back nine (that sounds kinda FUN, actually), and was a bit surprised at the final outcome...I was also somewhat surprised to see that the initial "portrayal" of Bri as Miss Nervous Nellie/Lack of Confidence had been replaced with a bit of an edge...

    Nevertheless, congratulations to her, and I'm looking forward to seeing her play live next fall when I volunteer for the Longs Drugs Challenge again...maybe I'll get to be her walking scorer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I admit I totally wasn't on top of Big Break VI news...just watched the first and last episode (and yesterday a couple of Tivo snippets from the others)...but I do find the phenomena of making everything into a reality TV show quite interesting.

    From the beginning I thought Bri would last because they gave her more personality than the rest. They can do that by over-dubbing after the fact and I'm pretty convinced that's what they did. Particularly those parts where she's alone in the cart and beeatching about slow play and managing the flag. Those parts I believe were done after she won. And they made the whole thing more compelling. I know several people who have been on reality shows, from The Amazing Race to Survivor to the Batchelor, and they all said the shows are ultra-staged and hyper-edited and lots of after the fact, scripted voice over work is demanded. That after all is what makes good TV = good ratings. And that's the point. Not that that's necessarily bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bri always wore really cool sunglasses. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anyone wanted to make a reality show about golf they could make a better one than Big Break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bri had the best figure of all the girls, by far, so I'm glad she won, yeah, I'm superficial that way.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...