Thursday

Comfort Food, an Awesome Wine and a Good Winter Golf Read

Here in New England, and elsewhere in the Northern tier of the US, it looks like there'll be some big time hibernating going on... for the next several weekends at least. Today for example, we're expecting temps to rise to a paltry 28 degrees; tomorrow 14. With high winds and snow squalls both days. More of same for the weekend. It's normal here, we deal with it. As best we can.

To make these non-golf weekends more palatable three things come immediately to mind: comfort food, fine wine and good reading material. For optimum enjoyment they should be savored in front of a roaring fire in cashmere pjs and fluff scuffs.











As far as winter comfort food. I happen to think there's nothing better than fondue. I mean the cheesy kind, that bubbles and drips and coats everything that enters it with pungent goodness.











For the wine...well in a perfect world it would be something like, maybe a 2000 Chateau Margaux.

As for reading material, I think the perfect compliment to an afternoon of hibernation, libation and relaxation would be the fun, fast-paced SortaGolf tale, The Muldooney Revisions. First of all, it's a feel good story if ever there was one, and feel good...is good. Right?

Whether or not you embrace the SortaGolf philosophy, as I surely do, you'll be swept up by this thriller that begins in Northern Scotland with the discovery of the Ancient Rules of Golf which, in a subversive twist, make the game fun. Not agonizing, not frustrating...Fun. Well things quickly go awry as golf purists attempt to squelch all evidence of the ancient rules. The ensuing action takes the reader across thousands of miles and many humorous twists to a final confrontation at Golf House, the hallowed bastion of USGA righteousness. It's well crafted, quick and clever. And, it really makes you think about how and why you play the game. The only problem I can see is that you might find yourself longing to get out on the course and try out the SortaGolf rules...and if you're in our neck of the woods, that may not be possible till April.

12 comments:

  1. Lascombes 2000 with a "fondue" ! I can't beleive that ...
    ;)
    Chardonnay should be better no ?
    A good from David Frost vinery..
    ah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just pick up James Dobson's book "Final Rounds", you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you see that Patricia ?

    http://www.pgatour.com/2007/r/01/26/british012507.ap/index.html

    I'm afraid it's a trap ! they want you inside to remove the dust !
    I hope they don' had this idea cause of my blog picture (the drill with the brush)
    a coincidence ?
    it worth a new post by you, can't wait to read that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should move out here and enjoy year-round sorta-golf - and great wine! I feature central coast golf and wine at golfslo.com - made famous by the movie Sideways ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAAACK!!!! THREE months without playing GOLF????

    I'd DIE!!!!

    Seriously, you need to take that Springtime golf vacation and keep "in the swing"....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of those USGA-holes they hate over at Sortagolf. At least I get to piss them off year 'round! :)

    Now that you play golf, you might find yourself changing the time of year you take vacations, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in Dublin, its 8:30 am, the sun is shining. It is already 11 degrees C. I think that a round of golf might just set the weekend up.
    The wine can come later.

    Alan (Hannigan)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Out here in Colorado Springs, we're having our 6th weekend in a row of snowstorms. It's getting old!!

    Dale

    http://www.greenposse.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so right Patrick. Cardonnay would have been a better choice, Nick was mad when I opened the Lascombes, but in the end we both enjoyed it... of course. BTW I couldn't manage to link to that PGATour thing.

    John thanks for the Dobson tip. I'm going to be reading a lot in the coming weeks I think.

    If I could I'd move out to SLO in a heartbeat. Golfslo makes me very envious. For the moment I am working on a spring break plan.

    I couldn't be a USPG Ahole if I tried. I simply lack the skills :0)

    At this point Dublin seems preferable to CO...hope you ski Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious...how come you went with red wine with fondue?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey. gentlemen gentlemen ...I was as shocked as you when she brought the Chateau Lascombes to the table...It was open. It was served by a gorgeous girl...and I was NOT ready to blow it. You gotta choose your battles

    ReplyDelete
  12. We were actually having cheese fondue and fondue bourguignon...which is made with beef...filet...in oil...you know. I thought that went best with red...thus...

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...