Monday

Golf Girl Poll: We Know Tiger Transcends Golf, But Do Any of These Other Guys?

















Perusing golf stories and articles and blogs and shopping sites...as I'm wont to do at work during my spare time...I came upon this testy article by Steve Dilbeck of the LA Daily News. Essentially it berates Tiger Woods for failing to enter the Nissan Open and opines that his reason for not entering is that he's afraid of it and feels he can't win there. Whatever. To me the piece came off as sanctimonious and anyone who knows me knows I have no tolerance for sanctimonious.

But I've go to say, one bit got me to thinking. It was this: "Let's be brutally honest here -- the causal sports fan would be hard-pressed to name five golfers besides Woods. They'd actually have a better chance of describing them than naming them. --- "Let's see, there's Phil Mickelson -- or is it Nickelson? There's the overweight, smoking guy who sings really bad country- western songs. And the Indian who's really from Fiji whose name I can never figure out if it rhymes with sing. And does Jack Nicklaus still play? And, and ...---The average sports fan wouldn't know Adam Scott from Walter Scott. If you know Jim Furyk is the No. 2-ranked player in the world, you're not a sports nut, you're a golf fanatic.---Tiger is the only player who transcends golf."


While I strongly suspect this to be true. I got to wondering who would be the second most recognizable contemporary male golfer...after Tiger. So I did the logical thing: I made up this little poll. And I'm hoping it sheds some light. Note: I didn't include female or senior players, though I have no doubt that several of their names are more recognizable then the those of the guys I included. For this poll I wanted to focus on the gentlemen who regularly play with Tiger.

If asked to name one contemporary golfer besides Tiger Woods, which of the the following would the causal sports fan be most likely to name:
Phil Mickelson
Vijay Singh
Jim Furyk
Ernie Els
John Daly
Other

View Results

9 comments:

  1. Patricia, Patricia, Patricia!

    What about Annika? Michelle? Paula? Natalie? Did you get too involved in that dumbass article and forget to really think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a dumbass article, isn't it? The guy seems to have a major chip on his shoulder.

    Actually though, I didn't include Annika, Michelle and Paula though I have little doubt they're more recognizable then the guys I did include. I didn't include senior golfers either, though I'm quite sure the names Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gregg Norman would resonate more loudly with the general public than those I did include. I just wanted to simplify it and include those who regularly play with Tiger. Probably not a perfect slant.

    On the actual poll I wrote a footnote on that, I think I'll add it to this article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia -
    That's Dilbeck's whole "schtick"...remember "Bulldog" from Fraser, the sports guy who acted like a jerk, but it was all just a blusterous facade to garner ratings?
    That's Steve Dilbeck - he just pokes fun at people to get a rise out of the reader...
    Actually, I just surfed over there, and while he castigates Tiger for taking a pass on the Nissan, and leaving it open to speculation that he's taking a pass to keep his streak alive, I interpreted the overall tone of the article as actually quite complimentary of Tiger's "transcending the game" and bitter disappointment at not being able to see him play at one of the most historic, LOCAL golf venues anywhere...
    There's a lot of demand to see Tiger in LA, since he grew up here, and a lot of people are taking it personally that he's not "coming home" to play the ONE "official" PGA event in LA...
    The fact that he has not won at Riviera only makes for a convenient bash-point...
    But the article is just Dilbeck being Dilbeck...he even kinda LOOKS like that "Bulldog" character, as his photo is usually with his article on the front page of the Daily News sports page almost every day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Scott...that certainly sheds some light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't think anyone who's not a true golf fan would know any of those other players from Adam. Almost everyone would know Tiger though. Goes to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle Wie is the only other golfer who's doing ads for non golf products, that I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In countries that are not as big and image driven as the US I think there are golfers who transcent golf. I'm thinking of Padraig Harrington in Ireland or Sergiio Garcia in Spain. I they are probably know by the general sports fans in those countries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my vote went to vijay. he's the only one i could name though i think it's because of his distinctive looks and name. of course i'm just a casual golf fan....great blog btw

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outside of Tiger, the only other male golfers that transcends golf are more or less regionalized base on their countries of origin.

    Truthfully, Tiger is not as big outside of North America as we would like to think.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...