Monday

Golf Girl Fashion Flash - The Year of the Dress


Last night I received an anxious email from a friend of mine. She's a fashion forward golf girl and needed some quick advice on where she could find a cute golf dress. It seems she's had it with boring polo shirts, rugby shirts and skirts....haven't we all? What she wants is something "flippy and fun and not traditional dress code". And of course, she needs it by next week. Well, I can totally relate to her plight so I decided to see what I could find for her real quick.

Happily, in fashion circles, 2007 has been proclaimed the "year of the dress", and these days when something shows up on the runways in Paris and Milan and New York ...it's reflected in golf apparel with lightning speed. So already at the PGA merchandise show in January there were golf dresses galore, and most are now available at pro shops, department stores and on-line.

The most innovative new golf dress out there right now has got to be the Adidas ClimaCool Motion Convertible Dress. The thing that's so cool about it (other then the CoolMax® Extreme fabric) is that it is in fact, convertible. You see, it's actually two separate pieces which can be joined with the help of a belt-like waistband to form the dress ...or worn separately as a polo and skirt. It comes in three colors, poise, blue jay and black, so imagine the multitude of golf outfits you'd be able to create with those three dresses and a couple of complementary tops and bottoms. An entire golf wardrobe, I'd say, and an ultra cute one at that. I was not able to find the convertible on line but was told it is available in shops.




What I did find online were the original ClimaCool dresses, not convertible but still plenty cute.
BTW - all of these Adidas dresses come with match printed undershorts for all of you who are thinking..."yeah, but what the heck do I wear underneath?"



This Nike Golf® floral border dress is a colorful, feminine option. Pale turquoise and sleeveless, with a fun Orange-y floral border, it's an outfit that will definitely turn heads on the fairways and greens, not to mention in the clubhouse. It has built in shorts too, so with all those eyes upon you you'll still have no fear of climbing into a cart or grabbing your ball from the cup. Oh and guess what? It's on sale at the Sports Authority site.

For a more urban, minimalist look, there's the zippered Puma golf dress. It's got a deep v-neck and nine inch zip and a very slim cut, so yes, it's extremely sexy. It comes in fuchsia and black and I found it on-line through Lady Golf.

I'm hoping this quick fashion flash provides a starting point for my friend's golf dress dilemma. Personally, I think I'll be wearing several of these styles when the warm weather finally gets to CT. In the meantime, for more golf dress tips and links to some lesser know designers, there's this informative piece by Golf Press Association's Janice Ferguson.

Oh, you were probably wondering about that top look... the ultra hot, white halter number. Well that's actually a tennis outfit and it's a skirt + halter top(left)combination. I couldn't resist including it though, cause I like it so much. It's Ralph Lauren and available through Neiman Marcus on-line, and just between us, I have every intention of ordering both pieces, and wearing them as a golf dress this summer. We'll just see what the dress code warriors at my club have to say about that.

14 comments:

  1. The best apparel for women golfers is Golftini, www.golftiniwear.com. They also have the coolest logo, a martini with a golf ball in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Golftini...the colors are so awesome. I'm definitely going to feature them in a fashion story.

    BTW, I could use a real martini round about now. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shopping spree!!!! Saves me alot of headaches!!! I think I like the convertable dress most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Golf and Tennis clash there usually are sparks.

    PinkCaddi out in Beverly Hills is an option to check out. http://www.pinkcaddi.com/

    There is one in Palm Springs, CA I will be drug into in two weeks...LadyGolf
    http://www.ladygolf.com/

    Hope that helps...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I bought a golf dress that ddn't come with...and undergarment. That was a mistake! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Heather -

    Maybe NOT!!! WE won't mind....

    =P

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do you people have to change everything? First with the shorts on golf courses, now skimpy dresses. Not to mention what is being done with Casual Friday's becoming Casual Everydays. Yes, dresses and skirts are acceptable, but within limits. There is a dress code for a reason. Tennis outfits are not golf outfits. Collars or sleeves for girls, with shorts, pants, or skirts of acceptable length. If you want to tramp it up, take a cardiostrip class or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Call me old fashion....There are time and place for semi-nudity. Golf course ain't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it seems the opinions on what constitutes proper golf attire are quite varied. I definitely look forward to doing a post specifically on this soon.

    In the meantime, check out my survey tomorrow. There are a couple of questions regarding golf attire.

    Many thanks for your feedback. It's always very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh come on guys, we are not talking about semi nudity on the golf course that's what the club pool is for (and some, not all, cart girls)! I just don't like wearing the same golf outfits as my mother-in-law. A girl likes to set herself apart from others and if she can't do it with her handicap she ought to be entitled to atleast look good when she misses that 3 foot putt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Showing skin does not automatically upgrade one's classiness or attractiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of courses won't let women onto the course in tennis garb / tennis skirts. Mostly private courses regulate this, but a few munis also do, mostly I assume due to the high cut of the skirts.

    Most places where women wear tennis skirts on the course they will not be taken seriously, and sometimes lewd comments will no doubt result. If that is the desired result on the part of the woman golfer then dress as you like.

    I am not sure that if I were a woman I would wear that fashion on the course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, my name is Rebekah and I am 14 years old. Me and 5 other girls are starting the first girls golf team at my highschool in several years and I was just wondering if you knew of a place where there is young and fashionable clothing and accesories that arnt too expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I personally love dresses on the golf course! I own a few and they are very comfortable. Check out www.greenteeapparel.com for some new golf clothes and very cute golf dresses. I highly recommend this line.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...