Saturday

A Golf Guy's Take on the LPGA Championship















Yesterday I told you about Ashley Mayo's awesome live blogging from the LPGA Championship. Well she's still at it... and will be throughout the weekend. And with Lorena in the lead and Annika lurking... it just keeps getting better.

However, Ashley's not the only blogger down in Havre de Grace, and for a distinctly different take on the LPGA action, you may want to check in with my friend Andrew from Oobgolf.

You know Andrew, don't you? He's the gregarious golf blogger with the disarming smile and the serious Paula Creamer obsession. And his coverage from Bulle Rock has a decidedly... testosteronic... tinge to it; Lorena is in "another world" and there's been no mention of Annika. That's because Andrew has been focusing on a decidedly different storyline: "hot golf babes and the relative hotness of hot golf babes".

That's a legitimate storyline, right? I mean, I've been known to make a storyline out of Ian Poulter's pink golf shoes, so I guess it is. The thing that's so compelling though, is Andrew's unbridled enthusiasm for his subjects: "The ladies are HOT". Momoko Ueda is "cute", and he's now "officially buying Laura Diaz". Paula is "the girl you'd take home to meet Mom", Natalie is "the girl you'd take home to meet Dad", and Anna Rawson is "a SMOKESHOW"!

Andrew is like the proverbial "kid in a candystore". His day 1 & day 2 reports are filled with semi-salacious superlatives that make for a fun, if somewhat subjective, read.

So for a distinctly different take on the LPGA Championship, make Oobgolf part of your weekend reading.

10 comments:

  1. Good blog.

    Just surfing. Glad you life Updike he is a true genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Andrew, keep the "hot golf babe" reports coming! You've got to get some pics though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys will be boys, I guess. I do find Andrew's reports to be rather patronizing though. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the record heat it seems attendance is up. The LPGA absolutely needs to engage an audience and good or bad, I think the glamorous players might help with that, as long as they can actually play well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cast my vote with Heather...He obviously is not 'covering' the tourney, he's 'describing' the tourney. Two different sets of skills. Conversely, he succeeds in keeping interest high (if not hormonal) which translates to good news for the LPGA. ~Nikki@17fairway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes yes I guess you're right. For the time being, women playing golf at a high level is not going attract enough of an audience so therefor the sexy, flashy card has to be played to attract fans and sell tickets. The important thing is that we women who love golf encourage other women...to play and watch golf too. It's really important for the future of the game and our enjoyment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah- thanks for the link. I didn't see it until just now but I thought I'd at least throw in my 2 cents. Unlike other media covering the event I really wasn't media. I volunteered to be a walking scorer so I only saw action from one group each day and anything I happened to see on the side. I wasn't "covering" the event. As far as my comments being sophomoric, while it may be somewhat true- the very first thing I said on my comments from day 1 was "1) These woman are really good. I know you "know" that, but seriously, these ladies are very good. All three golfers I was with hit over 13 fairways and 13 greens in regulation."

    I was very impressed with the ladies and their golfing ability. The looks are just something I noticed on the side.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome Andrew, I could never be a walking scorer myself... I'd get much too distracted watching the golf.

    I think the thing that seems strange to some women is that so many guys, when they attend an LPGA event for the first time, are in fact, surprised that the girls are so good.

    Anyway, hot golf babe reports are appreciated by many so why not own it? ;o) Did you see Paula's dress today BTW? One of the nicest outfits she's ever worn. IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just ran across your blog and like what you've got here.

    I, for one, am glad that the LPGA is running strong and that there is plenty of media about women's golf.

    My four-year-old became obsessed with golf after seeing Paula Creamer on TV in all her pinkness. The only thing she likes better than the color pink are Disney princesses...and now, golf!

    http://www.chadminnick.com/main/?p=162

    So, thanks to Paual Creamer, I have a little girl golfer at home and I couldn't be happier

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making last chaos gold is the old question : Honestly there is no fast way to make lots of lastchaos gold. Sadly enough a lot of the people that all of a sudden come to with millions of lastchaos moneyalmost overnight probably duped . Although there are a lot of ways to make lots of buy last chaos goldhere I will tell you all of the ways that I know and what I do to make cheap lastchaos gold.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...