Lacoste - Golf Goes Mod at Fashion Week

It's Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week and the spring 2009 designer shows are on in NYC.

I've been to the New York shows before... in a past life when I was very young & decidedly more urban. Even then I found them slightly too manic and crowded and chaotic for my liking. And now that my soul has been totally suburbanized? Well, forget it... the prospect of pushing my way through tents teaming with hoards of ultra stylish skinny people is about as appealing as a warm glass of back stage champagne. Luckily however, many brave young fashion bloggers (as well as a couple of gorgeous A-list lifecasters) are down there this week ...sharing their observations generously.

This morning was Lacoste, which if you read this blog, you know is one of my favorite lines, and according to my sources, the show did not disappoint: "...the country club exploded onto the runway. Girls in checkered bikinis wheeling golf bags, boys in bright blazers, no pastels in sight. Loved it!" That's how style-savant/designer/lifecaster, Mary Rambin, described the crayon-colored collection. Mary's partner in awesomeness, Julia Allison, noted a, "golf w/racer checks meets equestrian." vibe, and captured a piece of the amazing finale in the video below.

You'll notice it's much more than crocodile encrusted polo shirts; there are so many pieces that work for golf. I love the mod, little-bit-retro, 60's feeling. And the show had golf references galore from the gloves to the shoes to the ankle socks. It's a young, hip, accessible collection that never loses touch with the traditional sporty elegance of it origins.

I have my eye on that color block dress, and a couple of the checkered shirts already. And, I'm looking forward to seeing Cristie Kerr wearing some of these amazing styles come Spring. Yes, I know I've said it before, but once again, I love Lacoste.

NY Fashion Week: Lacoste Finale from Julia Allison on Vimeo.