Tuesday

Nurture Golf Buddies & Discourage Extramarital Sex?

Valentine's Day is fast approaching, but today's public distaste for conspicuous consumption, has limited the onslaught of articles on luxury lingerie and gold dusted gourmet chocolate.

In their place are more pensive pieces on dealing with Valentine's day depression or surviving Feb 14, as a single.

Along these decidedly... unflirty... lines Therese Borchard, a spirituality blogger writing in Huffington Post today, offers a list of "8 ways to Affair-Proof your marriage". ~ The piece seems to be directed at women, presumably because they're more likely to have the cheating spouse. ~ First on the list is:

1. Nurture Safe Friendships.

"This is the most important affair-preventer in my life. No marriage can give you everything. A husband is going to have interests that his wife will never care about like fishing, hunting, or golfing. So he's less likely to stray if he can find some good guy buddies with whom to fish, hunt, and golf."

Of course it's true that a husband and wife may have interests that don't overlap... and golf is often one of them... but the idea that a women should nurture her husband's friendships with "guy buddies" who share those interests is humorously lame. The suggestion is what? That otherwise he may find a frisky female on the first tee and be tempted to stray? That his "safe" male playing partners would discourage the otherwise inevitable liaison? ...Well actually, in the case of my husband, the second part is true; his motley foursome of Cohiba smoking curmudgeons gentlemen would discourage even the most libidinous fairway femme fatale.

But, that's not the point. My thinking is that if you have to go to such lengths to "affair-proof" your marriage, is it worth preserving? Isn't there something wrong with the marriage if you have to manipulate your spouse's leisure time and social contacts to ensure he doesn't end up at the Super 8 with someone else?

I'm writing about this on a golf blog because not long ago I ran into the issue of "extramarital golf" in a couple of other places. Not long ago I was helping a friend of mine find a key note speaker for an female empowerment program. We happend upon Beyond Affairs Network, a website run by Anne and Brian Bercht, a couple whose marriage was threatened by an affair and who responded by making "affair prevention" their life's mission. They've appeared on Ophrah and Ellen and E! Entertainment Network. They've been very successful with their subject, so it clearly resonates with some. I won't pass judgment except to say that I was somewhat taken aback when I read the following advice from Ms. Bercht:

"Going golfing one-on-one with a member of the opposite sex is asking for trouble. I would not be okay with Brian golfing with another woman, and he would not be okay with me golfing with another man. There would be no reason in the world, that you could not join your husband on this golf outing with another woman."

Well I can think of one. Like...maybe you had something else to do at the time?

Seriously, if you can't trust your spouse... your husband or your wife...to play golf with a member of the opposite sex, is your marriage worth hanging onto? ~I think not.

And I was about write off this overly cautious advice from a scorned wife as....just overly cautious advice from a scorned wife... until I read a real life account by Real Women Golf blogger, Heather Jones, of a golf course incident that left me thinking that maybe such spousal suspicion isn't so unusual. I just know I'd hate to have to live with it, and as Valentine's Day approaches and we scramble to find the right romantic gift, I'm wondering, like Heather did, how widespread this attitude actually is.

Would you be OK if your spouse (or significant other) was playing golf with with someone of the opposite sex?... and/or... Do you compelled to "affair proof" your marriage?

Antique Valentines from Vintage Valentine Museum

15 comments:

  1. I totally agree - if you need to "AffairProof" your marriage it means you're worried your spouse will have an affair. That's the wrong basis for a marriage. And you're not supposed to play golf with members of the opposite sex?? Puhleez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once knew a man who was telling his wife he was playing golf but was actually having an affair. Maybe she thought he was with the buddies she "nurtured". If you don't trust your partner there's probably a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, going golfing one-on-one with a member of he opposite sex is asking for trouble, where can I sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These people have awful marriages if they have to be thinking about how to keep their spouse from having an affair.

    And then the woman who's husband had the affair - but she convinced (probably begged) him to come back to the marriage. And now they're experts on marriage. Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really funny. I love these articles that advise the best course of action. In my experience, every relationship is different and needs to be dealt with in a different way.

    If relationships are going bad then people will cheat, it's the way of things. Maybe the advice should be...be nice to each other and you won't be jealous or want to cheat. Nice post..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbelievable. When we can't play together, I encourage my husband to get out and play. Fellow golfers understand the itch. On the golf course, he's out to have a good time but mostly he's concerned with his own play not being a player. Pretty sure if you have to worry about your husband golfing with women than your suspicions should be aroused any time he leaves your field of vision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a young, recently married friend from work who loves golf and plays a lot after work when daylight allows. He has met an attractive young lady in a similar situation and they have started playing a few holes together. They also have met on weekends and she invited him to play in a charity outing to fill her foursome. He has told his wife everything and she initially had a serious problem with the situation.

    The young lady golfer in question happens to be a lesbian. She has made it very clear to my friend she has zero interest in men, other than as friends. He thoroughly enjoys her company and she is 10 handicap, so their games are compatible (he's a 5). Despite his wife's protests, he contends since there is no chance for any sexual relationship to develop, there is nothing wrong with what he is doing. My only advice was if his wife is even the least bit upset about this, he should find other male golfers to play with.

    Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm writing from the other side of the green! Both my husband and I play golf. However, Bob has a group of buddies and i don't have the similar group of ladies to play with. And while Bob enjoys playing golf with me, he LOVES playing with the boys. He really thrives on the competition, the betting, the double presses, the testosterone! And i totally understand that. So, one day on the week-end, Bob plays with the boys and I walk on as a single. 99.9% of the time I am paired with three other men. The men i've played with have been nice, supportive and complimentary. I would also like to mention that i am an attractive woman. Never had I ever had anyone say or do any inappropriate or suggestive and the reason is very simple: I love my husband, he loves me and I don't give off any "vibe" that I am looking for anything more than just a round of golf. As a matter of fact, Bob is always so proud when we finish our respective rounds when one of my male partners tells him what a lucky guy he is to have such a great lady. I've had a few women make comments about me being out there with the boys and i just ignore them. Their comments are about their issues within their marriages. And those issues go far beyond the golf course: the work place, social gatherings etc. It has nothing to do with me. My husband and I do not let their martial baggage affect us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in total agreement! My hubby & I are still laughing about Heather's experience. At our club we have a large group of friends who have a day game on Wednesdays & Fridays and we often play mixed couples. However, we're all long time married couples & no one in the group strays or we'd probably eat them alive after roasting them on the first tee.

    Honestly, everyone would know if a spouse was jumping the fence & would likely become an ex-member of our group very quickly.

    It all boils down to trust, really. If you can't trust your spouse, then who the hell can you trust? Hubby & I have played many times over the years with the opposite sex & nothing has ever happened on the course that I'd be jealous of. Now, if they left the course to go meet after, I'd probably get the shotgun out. But, that's just me.

    There's a reason we've been married 31 years. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The piece seems to be directed at women, presumably because they're more likely to have the cheating spouse."

    According to Joan D. Atwood and Limor Schwartz in the Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy:

    "Forty-five to 55 percent of married women and 50 to 60 percent of married men engage in extramarital sex at some time during their marriage."

    Sex Lives of Wives: Reigniting the Passion

    That's not a very large difference between husbands and wives. My guess is that the difference is even less, as there are likely a few women who would lie to themselves and to researchers about having an affair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Playing golf with your spouse can be like 'teaching your partner to drive a car' - i.e. not recommended. If you want to keep your marriage in tact, then find another instructor! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have often paired with a group of men at my local course and I know my husband has played with some female friends. If I didn't trust him playing golf, then I couldn't trust him anywhere. Trust me, he is not thinking of anything but golf on the course. I've tried!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Would you be OK if your spouse (or significant other) was playing golf with with someone of the opposite sex?

    Certainly. She also has my OK to eat lunch, go on a business trip, and attend an aerobics class with someone of the opposite sex. If she can find a guy to take my place watching the next "must-see" chick flick, I'd probably pay for his ticket.

    Do you compelled to "affair proof" your marriage?

    It's taken decades for us each to accept all the strange and annoying habits of the other partner. I cannot imagine either of us wants to go through that again. So I'm not worried.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent read! Very true that if you feel the need to "affair proof" you are already on a rocky road! On a seperate note, my wife is quite happy to let me tread our fairways since I lost the monthly matchplay to a 68 year old lady member playing off 28 who beat me (an 8 handicapper) 7&6!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't mind if my wife goes and plays golf. I just found this site. I think it pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...