Friday

The Travelers Championship Keeps Golf in Connecticut








Here in Connecticut, today was one of those February days when the sun casts long cold shadows and an icy wind rustles relentlessly.

So why was I thinking about summer golf... in the Nutmeg State? More specifically, I was thinking about the Travelers Championship and TPC River Highlands golf course ...on it's beautiful bluff overlooking the Connecticut River.

Happily, word just came in that Travelers has agreed to a four-year contract extension that keeps golf in Connecticut through 2014. ...which is awesome news for the PGA Tour. This is their first title sponsorship renewal of the year, and Commissioner Finchem helped announce the news from the AT&T National Pro-Am. It's also great for CT Yankees like me who grew up with this tournament. It's our state's biggest sporting event and an important part of sports history in Connecticut. Additionally it raises significant funds for local charities.

The Traveler's Championship is taking place from June 22-28 this year, the week after the US Open. I'll be working to bring you updates, with media and communications staff at Travelers and The Traveler's Championship as the summer event approaches.

For now though let me put on my 14 layers and get out to the driving range.

2 comments:

  1. I still think of it as the Greater Hartford Open from my days in Glastonberry. Good to see Travelers leading the way, I hope other companies will follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your Travelers Chronicles last year in Golf for Women. It looked like fun and we added it to our trip east for the Open. Now I can't wait till June! :)

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...