Monday

Condi Covers Tiger for The Daily Beast

Ours is an era of topsy turvy transformation when it comes to media.

Acclaimed newspapers... with mastheads full of Pulitzer prize winning journalists... are routinely scooped by rogue bloggers who's best asset is their agility. Most of our news breaks on Twitter... or appears there within seconds of appearing elsewhere. In multiple posts of 140 characters or less.

The Daily Beast is the quintessential product of our current media mash up; a website published by Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair and The New Yorker and I'm not ashamed to admit that it's pretty much how I get my news these days. Then I proceed to my Google reader and the 50 or 60 golf blogs that appear there daily. There's not a lot of golf in The Daily Beast and I frequently fantasize about becoming the golf curator or editor there, or even just an occasional golf contributor. But it looks like my job's been taken. By former Secretary of State, Condoleza Rice.

Condi was trailing Tiger over the weekend and reports on it today in TDB. She writes well, refers to her own personal encounters with Tiger and Phil, and looks great in a visor.

Needless to say I'm now resigned to my job at Golf Girl's Diary and my fantasies of a golf column at The Daily Beast.

8 comments:

  1. I wondered what she was doing in Augusta. I hear she plays quite well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised she likes Anthony Kim's swagger. Or maybe I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing for others is overrated. You definitely write a lot better than Condi does anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those who can, playbetter golf, those who can't write about it. :)

    She is looking stylish though, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My roving reporters Eeyore & Roo spotted her on the Masters scene hob-knobbing with Tiger's mom. Now we know what she was up to. I've heard she's a good player too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whether or not you like Rice's politics, you have to admire the woman.

    I certainly didn't agree with many of her ideas, but she would be welcome to tee up a game with me and I doubt I would speak of politics once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a disappointment Dr. Rice is as a correspondent. A woman, any woman, would have seized upon the inescapable comparisons: Tiger v. Phil; Cabrera v. Sergio; Kenny Perry vs. Chad Campbell in the country boy/bumpkin category. Ultimately, the real comparison is/was between Tiger and Angel. One is sinewy strong and applies lip gloss; the other is barrel chested with powerful legs and is a feel player. It's quite stark really. Tiger probably has a dietician. Angel dines on Argentina's world-class beef. they both display remarkable virility but in entirely different ways. I'd expect thegolfgirl, with her understanding of European affairs and men, to be receptive to Angel's manly charms. She'd put him at ease in a minute, I'm sure. That the closest Dr. Rice got to remarking on any of this was "anthony kim's swagger" disappoints me but does not surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They say "a little knowledge is dangerous". I agree.

    I happen to really like Ms. Rice and respect her accomplishments before and during the Bush Administration. Can you imagine working for the Dub??

    Her 'product' knowledge is a little weak and it has probably been a long time since she has written stuff with such little 'gravitas'...

    I'll give her an A- for effort and a C- for content and delivery. A solid B- performance, or about three times better than my first attempt in the genre. Wow! Does anyone else have your first blog or web submission? Bet it pretty close to perfect, huh..??

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...