Tuesday

My Weekend Romance With Wolf Creek Golf Course

.














It was love at first site when I glimpsed the sandstone pocket canyons cuddling that circle of vivid, velvety green.

Meandering streams, placid desert lakes and undulating topography sealed the deal.

As as result, I spent numerous hours at World Golf Tour this past weekend, getting to know the virtual Wolf Creek Golf Course in a virtual Mesquite, NV... and I feel like I probably got to know it better than I would have gotten to know the real one had I been there in real life.

It's often that way with the real vs. the virtual. The virtual frequently wins. World Golf Tour is high definition, and ultra realistic. The virtual Wolf Creek was in pristine condition, the temperature was a pleasant 71 (or whatever our thermostat was set to) degrees and there was no wait time at the tee.

I played multiple rounds of the nine-hole challenge - a closest to the hole competition - and though I haven't yet been able to reach the green with any consistency, I'm quite addicted by now.

But the thing is, I absolutely have my heart set on playing the real Wolf Creek now. I even dreamed of a rugged desert landscape last night, one with lush green fairways winding through it. So I'm making plans to go out to NV... sometime in the next couple of months. I don't have issues with the heat - in fact, I'm always freezing - so I may even try to go in late June.

In any case it looks like a weekend romance has turned into a bit of an obsession.

12 comments:

  1. I played Wolf Creek Golf Course in April. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was out in Vegas a couple years ago, and I so badly wanted to play this course. But my buddy and I couldn't get the wives to agree to let us be away for the moajority of the day (I think it's 70 miles outside of Vegas). So we played TPC Canyons instead (which is also a very nice course).

    As for virtual, they've got this course in the latest Tiger Woods game. I love playing courses where there is severe elevation change. It makes some of the tee shots with a driver really fun. It's usually the only time I can boast that I hit a 300 yard+ drive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess Kidding5/12/2009 10:23 AM

    "I even dreamed of a rugged desert landscape last night ..."

    Should you ever dream of a rugged desert landscaper, I know a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roody, you've got to get Mrs. Roody into golf! My hubby and Imade the trip together in March. It's about 90 north of Vegas and it's SOOO worth the trip. There are lots of great courses but Wolf Creek is on a whole different level. It's breathtaking. The staff is very helpful and friendly too. A great experience all around. I just played the WGT version and it was great to revisit some of those great desert holes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vin- LI Golfer on the Loose5/12/2009 11:09 AM

    Patricia, I played the Wolf last year. It is a spectacular venue. I believe there are fifteen elevation changes in 18 holes. The cart paths are so steep that they have speed bumps spaced fairly close together on some to keep you from going out of control and careening off into the desert. We actually were above some of the many paragliders that flock to this area to catch the updrafts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the game is any indication it's a spectacular course. If you want to put a group together Patricia, let me know, the heat doesn't bother me, either.

    Maybe we can get Jess's landscaper guy to join us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rugged Landscaper Guy5/12/2009 11:54 AM

    Whoa! I, Rugged Landscaper Guy, feel the heat already! Or am I just the Boy Who Cried Wolf Creek?

    Don't dwell on message above. I'm not sure what it means either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If any of you enjoy golf on the PC, you must try Shot Online!!!

    http://shotonline.gamescampus.com/

    It's not the best graphics, but as a golfer, this is by far the best golf game available!!! And it's FREE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been to the courses at PGA Village in Port St Lucie--- on the expense account? Try this:

    Kiawah Island, SC. Kiawah Golf Investment Seminars announces the first in a series of innovative golf outings designed to produce: business networking opportunities, improved golf handicaps, and better investment course management. The program is well suited for any golf lover, but is designed especially for business people who want to make new networking contacts while improving their golf and investment head games.

    Two interactive seminars, presented by golf and investment professionals--- and absolutely no salespersons--- are combined with two rounds of golf at a premier destination, first class facilities, a short game clinic, cash prizes, sponsor provided books and gifts, meals, and networking cocktail parties.

    LPGA Professional and Author (Your Inner Swing) Randy Friedman removes the self-inflicted snowmen from your scorecard while Author/Investment Manager/Columnist Steve Selengut teaches investment "Course Management".

    For more information go to: Kiawah Golf Investment Seminars, and click on PGA Village Golf Outing or discover the Golf Mind Power website and click on Golf Mind Power & Investment Seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah...late June is Mesquite. Should only be 110 or so. :-) I've lived in Vegas for 37 of my 39 years and hate every summer.

    Have fun though. Should be a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like an amazing course!! I live in the Hilton Head S.Carolina area and golf is EVERYWHERE! AHHHHHH! great courses and i have taken a liking to it. Maybe with some practice soon i will be a champ! lol,
    keep up the great Blog!

    http://www.hiltonheadislandnightlife.com
    http://www.thegolfersniche.com

    Cheers!
    spode.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great blog and details on Wolf Creek - keep up the good reporting. added you to our recommended links at: Hilton Head Golf Links

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...