Monday

Morefar Golf Course is Back in the Headlines

Resurgent rumblings of taxpayer-funded, AIG excesses - such as the + $7,000,000 CEO pay package they announced today - have provoked a spate of stories on Morefar Golf Course. Including a rather prominent one in the New York Times.

Anyone who reads Golf Girl's Diary regularly knows I've been obsessing writing about this tempting track for a while now. If you google Morefar blog - as the NYT guys most likely did - I'm right up there. Same thing with Morefar AIG.

I happen to live right down the street from the foreboding stone columns that flank the entrance to the forbidden course, and I frequently play at Richter Park, the public course that allows tantalizing glimpses of Morefar's pristine fairways.

Neither the NYT piece, nor any of the other posts and articles that appeared today, revealed anything new about the actual ownership of Morefar, they simply reiterated what I wrote about last fall and this past spring: That though once associated with AIG, the association crumbled with the ouster of Hank Greenberg, who once presided over the bailed-out insurance empire... and that Mr. Greenberg now apparently oversees the course through a secretive entity called Starr International. My posts tell of my own failed attempt to play - or at least see - the course, and my continued interest as stories of additional bailouts and outrageous bonuses kept bubbling into the headlines.

One day last April, I was passing through the area on a Sunday afternoon with my Tap-in Twin sister, Cat, and spontaneously decided to drive up through the stone gates, fully expecting to be stopped in our tracks by the vigilant Morefar bouncers security forces. But strangely enough, we weren't. Perhaps because it was still off-season and late on a Sunday afternoon, there was no one anywhere around. We drove up the narrow, one-lane ribbon of pavement and at the top of a hill came upon the grass tennis court we'd been told about. It was presided over by two whimsically erotic (that's the only way I can describe them) "horsegirl" sculptures. The nubile centaurs were bronze, I believe, and were all the more unique because they each gracefully wielded a tennis racquet.

Unfortunately just after passing the court, and just as we saw the sign indicating the first tee beyond the crest of the hill, the road abruptly narrowed into a cart path. Dusk was falling and it was eerily silent, something told us not to get out of the car and venture forth on foot. We backed down to the stone gates and quickly went on our way.

Though we were able to get in and out of the compound without incident, we weren't able to inquire about the possibility of playing there, and the sublime sculptures we saw only confirmed our suspicions that Morefar was indeed a special place.

In early summer another reader sent me a note about a fundraiser taking place at Morefar, that is seemingly open to anyone willing to pay the sponsorship, which I believe is around $350 for an individual golfer. This charity event happens to fall during a time I'll be traveling, but it allows me to hope that I'll be able to play the course eventually... and though I don't know that it'll be through a charity tournament, I'm pretty sure I'll walk those mysterious fairways someday.