Saturday

Halloween - The Ghosts of Golf's Golden Age

.
Halloween isn't an option in our neighborhood. We get thousands of sweet-seeking visitors each year because we live on the ideal trick-or-treat street: close to the center of town, lined with ornate Victorian Houses, expansive, well-maintained sidewalks. Deer Hill is known throughout the county, and ghoulish revelers come from several towns out.

Each year we have a party... of sorts... at our house. Actually it's a couple of hours of chaotic candy distribution followed by a couple more hours of heavy alcohol consumption wholesome refreshments and costumed karaoke. Last year we even had a putting contest... which for some reason, nobody won.

We always establish a basic theme for the costumes and decor. In recent years we've done everything from "Arabian Nights" to "Pillaging Pirates" to "Intergalactic Exploration". With varying degrees of success.

This year I came up with the brilliant "Gatsby Golf Zombies" theme.

Also known as "Zombie Golfers of the Golden Age", it's basically just 1920s golf outfits and Zombie Makeup. I've got Nick's UnDead Tillinghast costume all set - complete with a pipe and Winged Foot Design Plan. Now I've got to strong-arm him into wearing it. As for my own costume working... I've running into a bit of trouble. Because when I started looking for inspiration, I kept coming up with things like this...and this... and this.

So you see what the problem is, right? These ladies were amazing champions; Joyce Wethered, Glenna Collett Vare, Patty Berg... among the best ever. And I'm sure their outfits, at the time... were considered... cute? Or sporty? But they clearly don't mesh with the idea of 21st Century Halloween costumes.

This year it looks like I'm going to have to sacrifice the "one night a year when it's OK for a nice girl to look like a dominatrix ho or a 8th Ave hooker or a total slut naughty and channel my inner Glenna Collett Vare. I'm pretty sure I can get the costume right, just don't ask me to channel her game.

Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

  1. I'm thinking you should go with the Charlize Theron look in The Legend Of Bagger Vance.

    We're in a very similar neighborhood. The kids come here in droves, so I buy truckloads of candy (because we have a dentist who needs to put his kids through college, LOL!). It always good fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestion: Announce a booby prize/worst costume and crown him or her the Egadsby! Golf Zombie. If you do so, good luck not winning.

    Snoots: Sounds like your dentist knows the drill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snoots: IMO, Bruce McGill, who played Walter Hagen in "Bagger Vance," really stole that movie and by far had the best swing.

    I'm sure you'd agree. If not, I don't wanna hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you will look amazing no matter what. I really wish I had known about Annika's pregnancy earlier last year. I would have been a pregnant Annika. Annika with Baby Bjorn just isn't as fun.

    At least you get to celebrate Halloween on the actual night and not some stupid "Beggar's Night."

    BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, I think you just beg to differ. Cuz, you know, you differ in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure wish I lived in YOUR neighborhood! How Fun!

    My brother delights in playing the intro to Phantom of the Opera whenever a wee one rings the door bell!

    Hope your party is a winner!

    Cheers,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about Glenna in fishnets and a bit of cleavage and fangs ? The best of both worlds !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool beans...

    Do you give out those little Snickers bars? If so, I'm moving to your town.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...