Monday

Y. E. Yang - Korea Open Win & AsiaOne Ascension

Yang Yong-Eun has been know to come from behind.

He did it, famously, when he won the 91st PGA Championship; his memorable first major.  There, the unassuming South Korean overcame a two-shot deficit going into the final round, to finish three strokes ahead of his playing partner... who happened to be Tiger Woods.

It was a victory that changed his life. With it he became the first Asian-born male to win a major championship, and saw his world ranking rocket from 110th to 34th.

Today the self-taught 38-year-old golfer was back to his old tricks... and then some, when won the Kolon Korea Open at Woo Jeong Hills Country Club with a closing five-under-par 66 for two-stroke victory.  Considering that he'd been flirting with the cut line a couple of days earlier this win was something of a surprise, even for Mr. Yang himself.  After all,  he'd started the day 10 strokes behind the leader, 19-year-old Noh Seung-Yu.  The teen, who held the lead for most of the tournament, lost his footing in the final round and finished in a tie for fourth. ~ Yang's stunning victory at the Korean Open also sent him to the top of the OneAsia Tour Order of Merit.

Y. E. Yang is one of my favorite players so I was delighted to see this weekend's story.  I like his unique sense of style, and the fact that he taught himself to play ... at the relatively advanced age of 19 ... then went on to be one of the best in the world.  I don't know why, but that kind of thing always impresses me.

Like nine thousand something others, we follow @Y_E_ Yang on Twitter.
AP Photo/Yonhap

5 comments:

  1. I love Mr. Yang's story too. If I was self taught I'd still be hitting worm burner after worm burner.

    He also proves why you never give up in golf. NEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those shirts y.e.yang wore earlier in the year, and I remember thinking they'd make great Ryder Cup shirts... In any case they'd definitely be better than lavender. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will certainly be more an more Asian men winning on the international tours. Within twenty years I'm guessing they'll be a presence on the PGA Tour the way they now are on the LPGA Tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I really like it when the field is made up of many different nationalities, however I fear I'm still in the minority at least in my area (western PA) - Particularly when it comes to the Asian presence on the LPGA tour there are lot of so-called golf fans out here who are very disparaging of foreign players.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really makes you wonder what Y.E. could have been if he had been taken in charge when he was still a young by a driven parent who'd get hime the best coaches and instructors and make sure he had constant opportunities to play challenging courses with other top players in competitions. Most of our top players began as small children.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...