Friday

Bunker Basics - The Golf Girl Sand Save Money Shot

Before I started playing golf my exposure to different types of courses was limited to the occasional televised snippet I'd catch by chance. Green and flowery or wet and wind-swept, as a disinterested non-golfer, the nuances were basically lost on me... a golf course was simply a golf course.

They all had bunkers though, and from Augusta National's pristine pools of pure white quartz to the deep, straight-faced pot bunkers of many Open Championship venues, I naively saw them as over-sized sandboxes where you might even find a child's pail and shovel, or a plastic starfish.

Then I started playing the game... and I quickly developed an major aversion to any kind of sand on a golf course.  I soon began to see bunkers as hazards to be avoided, and with my limited skills there was no way I could consciously avoid anything.  So I struggled to understand the dynamics of a sand shot. I listened to the advice of instructors and took tips from random strangers who seemed to get up and down with ease.  Everyone told me it was simple, but it wasn't.  Not for me. I tried it all and no nothing worked,  Until I started doing what some of my friends did: deftly picking up the ball and gently tossing it out of the hazard.  You see, being a purely social golfer I had that option.



As you may know,  I recently decided to take my game to the next level.  I found a stellar instructor and we've started working towards that end.  I've re-engineered my swing and I'm finally developing the kind of consistency that's allowing me to make quantifiable progress. However, time and scheduling being what it is, we've not yet gotten into the traps to work on bunker play... and though I'm now substantially better at avoiding hazards, I still encounter them... all too frequently.  So  a couple of weeks ago when I was playing with Golf for Beginners editor Stacy Solomon and saw her confidently execute a sand save from a deep, green-side bunker, I naturally begged her asked her for a sand trap tip, and what she shared with me was ultra-simple but has helped me tremendously.  She told me to visualize a dollar bill underneath the ball, with the ball sitting squarely on George Washington's face, then swing to lift the entire bill out of the sand, following through with a full finish.

Apparently that tip's been around for a while, but I'd never heard it before, and it somehow enabled me to put into affect much of the other advice I'd gotten.  For me it was just a really good visual, and I find that a good visual is often the key to understanding a concept in golf.

Speaking of good visuals here's the gorgeous (major understatement) Suzanne Haney making up-and-down look easy, while husband Hank narrates.



Check out Suzanne's YouTube channel for more excellent golf tip videos.

12 comments:

  1. I've GOT to try it, because believe me, I've tried everything and I still hate sand. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once you forget about the ball and understand that you're just trying to pitch sand out onto the green you'll get better at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of it as a hundred dollar bill and it comes out even easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting better at getting out of green side bunkers, it' the fairway traps that kill me. I don't think the dollar bill tip works from them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    i RECOGNIZE that PALM TREE !

    just like pres Eisenhower wanted a particular tree cut down at augusta, i came very close to removing that one myself

    it's amazing how many times i would be in the sand BEHIND that palm tree ! #$% !


    frankD
    ft liquordale, soFLA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually got that bunker tip from an instructor helping a kids group!

    Sometimes the simplest pictures work the best. Oh, and it DOES work great using a hundred dollar bill, Average Golfer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hate the sand it makes hard to play and I'm still getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I get the concept, I'm gonna have to try when get out on the course. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a crazy thing to do put sand in a golf course? Are you crazy? lol

    But in all seriousness people actually make the bunker shot harder than what it really is. The main thing to remember is get it out first and foremost. Don't be greedy take your medicine if you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dollar bill visualization does help a lot of golfers, it is amazing how things start to click with your golf swing and game when you find that one key thought. The important thing in the sand is to enter behind the ball, slide under the ball with the club and then come out after the ball. A lot of beginners, especially, will dig way too deep into the sand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tip! If you come across any tips on on gauging how hard to hit out of a sandtrap near the green, do share. I almost always shoot to the opposite side of the green.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super quiet legs and 2 inches behind the ball has always helped me.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...