Monday

Yani Tseng's Latest Win & An Angry Bird That Yearns to Fly

Yani Tseng's Angry Bird & trophy via Beth Ann Baldry
The symbolism is pretty clear; a small red bird, round and wingless, sits atop a loving cup. Glaring angrily.

The Red Bird is one of the famous Angry Birds and belongs to Yani Tseng, as does the cup, which happens to be the coveted Dinah Shore trophy. The top ranked LPGA star won that elegant piece of hardware at the Kraft Nabisco Championship in 2010... and the scowling bird is perched upon it because last year, in 2011, Tseng narrowly missed winning.  

According to Golf Week's Beth Ann Baldry, who tweeted this with the photo at left back in November, "Yani put an angry bird inside her Kraft replica trophy because she didn't win in 2011".

With a victory today at the Kia Classic... her third win of the still very young 2012 LPGA season... the Taiwanese champion seems to be on track to become a multiple winner of the 2012 Kraft Nabisco next week and jump into Poppie's Pond for a second time. If she does,  I'm guessing she'll take the ill tempered avian with her.

3 comments:

  1. Red Bird better be ready to get wet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't follow women's golf much and I've got to admit I really didn't know of Yani Tseng till a few days ago when I found out that at age 22 she's already firmly established as one of the best women to ever play the game. I'll definitely be watching the Kraft this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yani is REALLY dominating! I can't wait to watch her in the Kraft Nabisco.

    What would you say is the strongest part of her game? I was noticing that this year so far, she was 71st in driving distance and 22 in putting average. I'm not good at interpreting stats of any kind so I'm wondering. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...