Wednesday

Business, Golf and the Grass Ceiling

A golf blogger friend of mine brought this article to my attention a couple of days ago.

The topic is the role of golf in business, and how it's often underestimated. There's a brief review of "Deals on the Green", a new book by David Rynecki, and the overall premise (of the article and,it seems,the book) is that golf is an essential tool for getting ahead, and maintaining one's edge in business.

Now that's all well and good, but there's a down side too, according to this article, and it's the fact that, due to the nature and history of golf, it plays a significant role in keeping women out of America's boardrooms. In other words it's a grass ceiling, and not a glass one that women hit when they try to get to the upper echelons of US corporations.

Personally, I don't believe that the male monopolisation of corporate golf is what's keeping women from advancing up the corporate ladder. I think it has more to do with the perception that women are child bearers/rearers and the fact that many women do, in fact, opt out... as lots of men would do in a NY minute if it was socially acceptable and respected. As for me, I'm currently reading How to Play Business Golf, and learning how to make golf work for me in my business life. Granted I'm not negotiating with Warren Buffet or Bill Gates but neither are most people I know.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting PH. Can you get it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

    Had one of my standard two rounds of golf per annum last week. As usual, four or five really good strikes, the rest.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,

    Thanks for the plug for my book. I agree, golf has not been women friendly and I support a change whole heartedly. I spent 32 years reporting to a number of C Suite women executives. I know women are just as equal to sound decision making and leadership as men. In many cases they did better and I enjoyed working for many of the women more than the men. The problem with men, women and golf is not the game of golf. The solution is more women need to pick up the sticks and get out of the office where they feel is where the corporate games are played. That is where I want to help, that is what I mention in my first book and will be hammering on in the next few books I have plans on publishing on the subject. Thanks again for your support and let me know how I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia,
    Was hoping you'd opine on this, and you came through! Thanks!
    Personally, I don't do much if any business on the golf course. I think it's less about making a deal than it is about getting to know someone so you're you know who you're dealing with later on. As you know, you can find out an awful lot about someone playing golf with them. :)
    Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm a man. How come there's no golf in my job? My boss doesn't golf either. Gotta find a new job where golf is part of the deal.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...