Thursday

Counting on The Online Golf World in '09

The new year is almost a day old, and I've got to say... it's going really well for so far. Last night's party at the MGM Grand was fun and festive, and I wisely avoided overindulging getting plastered for a change. So I was able to enjoy a lovely New Year's brunch today, and a hangover-free ride back home.

I'm realistic about 2009. I believe the economists who predict that the entire year will be challenge, for almost everyone. In golf, there'll be closings... of courses and companies... and cutbacks in how much people play or spend on golf products. I think that's inevitable. However, I'm an optimist by nature and I'm not depressed or morose by any means. In fact, I'm looking forward to doing things better this year; I hope to work better, live healthier and give more in 2009... and I don't think I'm alone in my 09 aspirations either. I've talked to a lot of smart people in various golf businesses who plan to use the downturn to do things they didn't have time to consider in the boom times; charitable, innovative and out-of-the-box things. I look forward to profiling this trend in stories and videos as the year progresses.

And the thing is, I see the online world playing an increasingly important roll in golf as the economy continues to struggle. Collectively, online golf content producers are developing new ways of thinking about the game. These ideas will help introduce golf to a new audience and keep current fans and players engaged during the economic downturn. Lately, it seems I'm discovering at least a couple of new golf blogs everyday. Some of them very unique and well rendered. Golfcentric Social Networks are multiplying, while Golf focused groups on platforms like Facebook and Twitter are attracting members (and followers) from the across the US and around the world.

Athletes are beginning to communicate directly with their fan on social sites as well. The always enchanting Natalie Gulbis recently began twittering, and is now reaching fans in a personal and intimate way... because she's engaging them in a social space. Ms. Gulbis is one of the first professional golfers to Twitter, but she certainly won't be the last. It's just too good a way to reach and grow an audience. BTW - earlier this week Natalie was interviewed by the New York Times on the subject of her twittering. I know, because I follow her there. Look for the article tomorrow.

Some would say golf has been slow to embrace the digital world, remaining wary of blogs and social networks while other industries adopted it. I'd have to agree with that on some level. I've been writing Golf Girl's Diary for two and a half years now, and I've been an evangelist for golf on Facebook and Twitter for nearly as long, and it's only within the past few months that I've seen a real influx of recreational golfer and golf professionals of all sorts. The time, decidedly, is right. 2009 may just be the year the online golf world comes into it's own. I'm optimistic it will.

8 comments:

  1. Hi @golfgirl,

    Awesome post. Yes, the golf industry must think and act 'outside the box'. Been following it since mid 1970's. New ideas, innovation, new systems may well be embraced in 2009.

    Since the big tournaments in China there is growing interest in golf in that part of the world.

    Golf instruction must look at new concepts. Average golf score has hardly dropped for the past several decades. The main type of instruction has seen little changes since I have followed it. Just different ways to say the same old, same old.

    I was a Grades 1-9 phys ed teacher. I taught skills for various sports as early as Grade 1. I then developed those skills through each grade. When I took up golf I found this concept is missing in golf instruction.

    For past 10 years I have been honing such a program of golf lessons. But, there is still much to develop. This year I am going to go public on the Internet with these lessons. They just work. I actually gave a phone lesson to a man In Maryland for 1 1/2 hours. He voluntarily sent me a check for $100 US.

    I don't fix slices. My students hit draws when they start getting nice hits. Basic body movement is the key.

    OOps. Sorry for blabbing away. Must get back to begin work on my coming golf blog.

    Glen @glenzgolfvi

    ReplyDelete
  2. patricia,

    Glad to read you're still optimistic. I am also.

    One trend I've noticed over the past 20 years is a decline in the growth of low end golf courses. Municipal courses have been upgraded, and fees have been raised as maintenance and bond service costs have increased.

    IMO, the way to reach new generations of golfers is to keep the low end, low cost option open. Here in north Texas, the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth seem to realize that. Many of the large suburban cities do not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great New Year's Eve. I agree about the internet helping people share their interest in golf. Things are changing so fast and traditional Golf Digest style publications while still valid for what they are will become just one part of golf media. Which is a GOOD thing for golf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how astute and unintimidated Natalie Gulbis is when it comes to reaching fans.

    I'm not seeing too many other golfers going in this direction yet, but I hope you're right and it'll start happening more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New year to you and Nick! It looks as if the weather did not put a crimp in the festivities at MGM. Hopefully, your friends all made it through to enjoy what appears to have been a fine night, judging from your videos. I enjoyed your discussion of the challenges that 2009 offers us all. If the prognosticators are a bit off maybe we can have a fairly prosperous new year after all. I am always a "glass half full" guy anyway. My family is healthy. We don't need much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great observation about Golf being on the trailing edge of embracing social media - not unlike the ultra conservative image that the game we love has. However....methinks that a little "wake up call" in the form of more challenging economic times may force Golf (capital G) to shake off it's stodgy tendencies and recognize that it needs to engage it's fan base on multiple levels - and Twitter is just one of those many levels. Hopefully those of us who write golf blogs can help raise the awareness of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Golfgirl! I hope you are right and 2009 becomes the year that golf takes off on the Internet.

    You were an inspiration to me and I'm working hard to keep the buzz going online.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great New Years...I stayed home and went to be at 10. Woke up early and couldn't have happier! To each their own.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...