Saturday

Are Euros and Youngsters Changing Golf Fashion?

















Golfers were all over the place yesterday.

It's that magical April weekend here in CT, the one where temperatures reach high into the 80's and everyone forgets that summer's still two months off.

I managed to play nine holes today, for the first time in a while. I didn't play particularly well but my expectations were low reasonable, and the day was gorgeous, so it turned out to be a delightful round.

The course was busy, so I had high hopes of ferreting out a fashion statement or two for the Real Guys Golf Style Contest, but I'm afraid I came up empty. Every single man was wearing some variation on "subdued polo shirt / Khaki shorts/ baseball cap" theme. And none of those variations was the least bit exciting. Don't get me wrong, a number of these guys looked somewhat hot really good... there just wasn't anything exciting happening fashion-wise. And I suppose that's not too surprising.

Though only an hour from midtown Manhattan, Danbury, CT is pure suburbia, and my course like most suburban courses is a bastion of the baby boom generation.

Last week I had an interesting conversation with John Paul Newport who's written the Wall Street Journal's weekly Golf Journal column since June 2006. He was preparing a story on new directions in golf apparel, and as a baby boomer himself... one who clearly feels most comfortable in "khaki Dockers and roomy polo shirts"... Mr. Newport was puzzled by the profusion of white belts with great big buckles... and the kaleidoscope of raucous colors and patterns that many of today's players are wearing. Because, he remarked, "ironically, it's the same buffoonish, 'Caddyshack look' my generation so consciously shunned.

Mr. Newport's golf apparel piece appeared in yesterday's WSJ. It includes an inspiring slideshow, and suggests that European influence and generational tides may be the main factors behind the changes that are now appearing on the pros, but acknowledges that those changes are not being picked up too quickly on suburban courses.

As for me, I'm going out again today. To see if I can hit a lower score...and maybe find a suburban golf style statement or two.

13 comments:

  1. In anticipation of this post today, I was purposely conscious of my attire yesterday. As a result, I was rockin' a seafoam green and white pencil stripe F&G polo, stylish black shorts,white belt, and black and white (not oxfords) ecco shoes...topped off with a black and white Titleist visor. So here in Alabama, there was at least ONE stylin' golfer yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an old guy wearing red Sansabelt pants today. He almost looked cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO Marco - too funny !

    Ok - so why do we men have to do something off the wall or crazy to be "stylish" ? Remember - fashion is for women. Women want to be the center of the appearance world. Women want to have people look at them and say they look great. Why do you think men have the choice of two tuxedos - mostly black, or white on certain occassions - but women get to do all kinds of things ?

    Nothing wrong with khaki's and a nice shirt - it's what we do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a guy in lavender polo shirt and matching lavender cap today. Everything else was black, pants/belt/shoes, and the fit was traditional, so it wasn't over-the-top, but it was very distinctive. NICE. Didn't have my camera though :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played great in cargo shorts today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Court, I think men definitely can look stylish in khakis and a nice shirt. Just has to be worn with a little care...and maybe match accessories ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the cooler weather I really like all black, black pant and black shirt/sweater. I think it's a great look on almost anyone, just don't do the white belt unless you're lean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how about a white belt under a beer belly, so attractive, right?!
    All you "pregnant men" out there don't try it.
    I did love the knee socks idea for women, but haven't seen it on the course yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol - ok Ash - I'm almost afraid to ask...what accessories are you talking about ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats for being quoted in the WSJ, golfgirl. I agree with you in general. I thought you were a little harsh on the Mechanic though. He's about average for a middle-aged guy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Golfing attire is actually a very interesting thing to discuss about and we could go on about this for days together.

    Much before the onset of branded apparels, golfers like Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen were considered fashion icons back in their time.

    Like most other spheres of our lives, the advent of colour allowed the man on the fairways to get more adventurous with what he wore on the links. From the Gary Player all-black to the loud colours that increasingly became the norm, golfers were pioneers in going beyond the set rules of fashion. Some of those law-breakers are probably responsible for a new generation of golfers headed by Ian Poulter, who perhaps clothe themselves twenty years ahead of their time.
    From shirts to trousers, and caps to belts, the amount of thought that goes into dressing up the modern-day golfer is astounding. Greg Norman was the player primarily responsible for driving the apparels industry, when he came out with his own line of clothing and soon as the business grew many more names came into the fold. This includes designers such as Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. The latest entrant in the expanding list of high-end brands associated with golf apparels is Calvin Klein. The CK label announced a tie-up with an Irish company to roll out their products in an attempt to grab a share of the pie from this lucrative market.

    ReplyDelete
  12. golf girl you are possibly the most unnecessary human
    I have ever seen.
    if one were to look up the word mediocrity in the dictionary one should find a picture of you there.
    your sad little kitchen and living room show that you could only marry so far despite your cheesy looks.
    I feel sad for you - you seem so lost in your delusional
    attachment to golf that somehow has become your reason for existence.
    Lame-little-girl-that-nobody-cares-about is perhaps a better title for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lame-little-girl-that-nobody-cares-about5/22/2009 6:12 PM

    Hi Truth,

    I looked up Mediocrity, no pic of me. This is what I found

    Mediocrity Me`di*oc"ri*ty\, n. [F. m['e]diocrit['e], L. mediocritas.]1. The quality of being mediocre; a middle state or degree; a moderate degree or rate. "A mediocrity of success." --Bacon. 2. Moderation; temperance. [Obs.] --Hecker.

    That doesn't sound too bad does it?

    And, I agree, my cheesy looks should have gotten me a better husband/kitchen/living room. I had Donald Trump in mind but he chose Milania.

    And, I've heard of worse things than a delusional attachment to golf.

    Lame-little-girl-that-nobody-cares-about is an awesome name for a blog. I might consider using it for my next one...with your permission, of course. I've already registered the name, so let me know.

    Anyway thanks for reading and thanks for your comments. ;) GG

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...