Monday

The Bob Hope Classic and My Own Bill Haas Story

female golf pundit, Patricia Hannigan
Here in Connecticut an icy rain fell from sunrise till dusk today and the skies never cleared. But my Monday was made much brighter by a Bill Haas victory at the Bob Hope Classic. You see, I've been a major Bill Haas fan since June 17, 2008.

Before you think I'm weird, the reason I remember the exact date is because that's the day I actually met the gracious southern golfer on the practice green at TPC River Highlands.

It was the week leading up to the Travelers Championship and the players were coming in from the west coast and Torrey Pines, after one of the most memorable US Opens ever. Buzz was just beginning to circulate about the possibility that Tiger might have to take some time off... perhaps even the remainder of the season... to mend his knee... and the prospect of several Tigerless months seemed to cast an aura of uncertainly on the green that day. In light of what's happened since, that seems almost extremely ironic, doesn't it?

Being a weekday... and quite early in the morning... the sparse crowd around the green consisted mainly of prosperous looking senior citizens, clamoring for autographs. They were uniformly equipped with fresh black Sharpies and shiny new golf balls. Once signed, I'm guessing they lovingly placed the balls in windowed display cases.

But, as I say, there was a strange vibe that day. The players spoke among themselves, commiserated with their caddies and went about their practice routines. Most of them seemed in no mood to humor the early morning autograph seekers. But there was one young guy who didn't hesitate to approach the fans standing around the green. It was Bill Haas who... I'll admit... I was unfamiliar with at the time. As he politely proceeded to autograph balls, exchanging pleasantries with the seniors, I complimented him on his pleated trousers which were old-fashioned and oddly elegant. He smiled and said he was surprised I had noticed, he said he preferred pants with pleats though they weren't always easy to find. I asked if I could take a photo, and gave me that great smile.

So, that's the story of how I became a Bill Haas fan on June 17, 2008. And why it was pretty special to see him win in an exciting final round at the Bob Hope Classic today.

Photos:Golf Girl Media

14 comments:

  1. Jay Haas Bills Father is one of our favorites on the Sr. Tour. How cool that his son is a top player too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pulling for Bubba but Bill had the better round. It was a surprisingly good final round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does have a great smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Patricia. I have a very similar story about how I became a Kenny Perry fan. It's amazing how far a little humility and class will go.

    Congrats to Mr. Haas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patricia. It was great to see him pull it off. It was also awesome that his father Jay took a red eye to witness the winning putt. Te family that plays golf together stays together. Great post. Always hit your target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Patricia,

    Great story!

    Bill's pants are manufactured by Peter Millar (www.PeterMillar.com). The luxury apparel maker is based in Cary, NC and also has a location in your own NYC. About a dozen PGA Tour players, including Steve Stricker, wear the company's slacks.

    A former Wake Forest golfer, Bill learned his respect for fans from his dad Jay Haas and uncle Bob Goalby, the 1968 Masters Champion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been a Garcia fan... for obvious reasons... but Haas is growing on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it possible Billy and I are last two humans on the planet that still like pleated slacks?

    Phil is right. The Haas clan is a class act..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another awesome story, Patricia. You should write a book!!! (LOL)

    Jay Haas went to school at Wake Forest, and is indeed one of the nicest guys out there. I met him once at Tanglewood in Winston-Salem and he was an incredible person to shake hands with and chat about ye olde game for a few minutes.

    Like father, like son, I suppose, and I am very happy for Bill that he's joined the elite group of PGA Tour winners.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet story. Captures the richness of moments-lived again and again. Yes, you should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of us "bigger" guys like the pleated pants. I hate that I can hardly find golf pants from Nike or Adidas that aren't pleated. We aren't all built like Tiger with a flat stomach and washboard abs. I was at thirty, but not as a senior player. I think I need to develop a new line of golf clothing for men and women that has plenty of pleats and elastic( everywhere).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice story, Patricia. I've always liked the Haas family. Bill seems to have a great golf temperament. I've liked his dad, too, watching him play for many years. I saw Bill and Ryan Moore play in the NCAA Championships at The Homestead in 2004 (I think). I knew of Bill, but I had no clue who Ryan Moore was. Look at them now. I'm also a fan of pleats, even when they're out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would anybody like to join the Bill Haas Fan Club? It's totally free and it gets insider information from someone close to Bill Haas. The Fan Club is located on the website www.billhaaspga.info and the email to join is billhaasfansite@gmail.com. I am not even the creator of the website it is just that the Fan Club is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a similar story, this past week I was working at the Crowne Plaza Invitational and noticed a very attractive looking young man waving at me from the putting green. I personally do not follow golf much, and have just very recently begun playing. But my father who is an avid golfer instantly knew who it was. Anyway this wave progressed into another wave, and the next day he asked me what my name was as he walked past me on the 14th tee box.
    I can't explain how dreamy his smile is in person but it is honestly something I have never felt.
    I had no idea who he was one week ago and today I cannot stop thinking about him.
    He looked at me like no other man at the tournement looked at me (actually in my face). with such a genuine smile and friendly disposition. He gave me butterflies and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel something :(
    but I know I'm just distorting it haha.
    I'm not the only girl he has waved at on tour before I'M SURE.
    but it was very flattering.
    if he'd have asked for my number I wouldve given it to him in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...