Thursday

The Meaning of Vijay




















Victory. That's what it means in Hindi.

And that's what I'm hoping for for Vijay Singh as he defends his title in the Mercedes-Benz Championship, which gets under way in Kapalua, Hawaii today.

He's got a new swing... Revamped is the term I've heard to describe the changes, though I doubt it's one Vijay himself would use. He's a man of few words and his words are rarely contrived.

Others have said that he's been working hard to improve his fitness. Which I found odd because I wouldn't have thought improvement was possible for this man who's always been known to train harder than anyone else...by ten.

I'm a huge fan of Vijay Singh. I find him fascinating on so many levels, from his unique origins and tumultuous trajectory through the world of professional golf, to that singular dedication that has made him one of the very best, and the youngest living person ever elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame. Soon though he'll turn 45 and that lends a certain urgency to the prospect of a winning year.

Golf Digest once wrote of Vijay Singh as "pro-golf's bad guy". Others have called him a "sexist oaf" and "Vijay the Villian". Vijay is definitely controversial, and I've got to admit that only adds to my fascination.

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Golf Girl!

    I have to admit that I too am fasinated by the bad boys of golf. Vijay is definitely one of those, along with Sergio and Monty and, dare I say, Rory.

    I love that golf is a civilized and "gentle persons'" sport, but sometimes you need a little spark to heat up the game.

    An added bonus...these guys do give the golf media something to talk about other than Tiger.

    Golfgal
    www.golfgal-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vij is even today. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm all for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how the nice girls always go for the bad boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vijay's not doing too well. You better put your money on someone else. I suggest you look north of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Vijay very close up and personal over some 4 days during the Barclays Singapore Open in early November last year. I was marshalling (sp?) during the first 3 days and just a spectator during the last day. He is very unapproachable, and from the looks of it he has no friends on the tour as he spoke to nobody, not even on the practice putting green. He also completely ignored the crowd, maybe that's his way of 'playing in a zone'. He played great golf, especially on the last day - he finished second, one stroke after Angel Cabrera. However, his attitude was a clear disappointment for the crowd. Not many will miss him if he doesn't come back next year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. He also completely ignored the crowd, maybe that's his way of 'playing in a zone'. He played great golf, especially on the last day - he finished second......

    by
    regards
    Villu stills,songs

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...