The Meaning of Vijay

Victory. That's what it means in Hindi.

And that's what I'm hoping for for Vijay Singh as he defends his title in the Mercedes-Benz Championship, which gets under way in Kapalua, Hawaii today.

He's got a new swing... Revamped is the term I've heard to describe the changes, though I doubt it's one Vijay himself would use. He's a man of few words and his words are rarely contrived.

Others have said that he's been working hard to improve his fitness. Which I found odd because I wouldn't have thought improvement was possible for this man who's always been known to train harder than anyone ten.

I'm a huge fan of Vijay Singh. I find him fascinating on so many levels, from his unique origins and tumultuous trajectory through the world of professional golf, to that singular dedication that has made him one of the very best, and the youngest living person ever elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame. Soon though he'll turn 45 and that lends a certain urgency to the prospect of a winning year.

Golf Digest once wrote of Vijay Singh as "pro-golf's bad guy". Others have called him a "sexist oaf" and "Vijay the Villian". Vijay is definitely controversial, and I've got to admit that only adds to my fascination.