Monday

Cheery Oh! Ji Young Takes the Sybase Classic
























Under the radar, but ultra-impressive, Ji Young Oh won the Sybase Classic while others fell victim to the elements. Or to the malevolent golf demons that sometimes haunt the thoughts of even the best players.

The warmth and sunshine of the past couple of days were gone on Sunday, replaced by a leaden chill reminiscent of early March; it was cold, gray and blustery. And "blustery" was what got to Suzann Pettersen - who had been tied for the lead coming into the round - she cited the wind as having been an issue for her on 17. Her disappointment was palpable when she walked into the media center at the end of the day.

If you can stand the chill, this is probably the best kind of golf to watch. There's an element of drama in such a day that's missing when the weather isn't a factor. The thing that really mesmerized me... watching just a couple of yards from the green... was the way Ji Young handled her putter. I felt like I could feel her feeling some of her longer putts. (Three uses of the verb "to feel" in one sentence = excessive. But you know what I mean.)


















At the press conference, when Ji Young Oh was asked about her golf inspiration, she spoke of Se Ri Pak, the US Open winner who was one of her country's first golf champions, and who has inspired so many Korean girls to dedicate themselves to the game.

I'll have more from the Sybase Classic later today. And I'm already looking forward to my next LPGA event.

14 comments:

  1. Do you know what kind of jacket she was wearing and where it can be bought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, I don't but I'll find out and post it here...should be later today or tomorrow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia,

    Great job this weekend. You worked your butt off and the results were fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chief Plays-With-Words5/18/2009 11:43 AM

    Oh, what a relief she is!

    Great smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the fact that Ji Young Oh was up against these long hitters like Michelle Wie and Brittnay Lincicome is very telling and should be encouraging to those of us who are not the longest hitters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She was wearing the Performance Light Jacket by FootJoy!

    http://www.footjoy.com/catalog/womens.asp?c=70&s=33698&p=all

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to be too curious, but is that make up on Ji Young's shoulder...I ask because that happens to me ALL the time...to the extent that I now try to match my makeup to my jackets, sweaters and shirt. LOL. No, but really!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smudge as I can tell, yes, it is. Good eye, girl!

    Methinks Oh thought she was playing a makeup round.

    And if you were serious about your wearing outfits to match your makeup, I suggest staying away from the game for a couple of weeks, then quit it entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dirty Harriet5/18/2009 7:04 PM

    Nah, that's just a rogue divot that sneak-attacked a shoulder of misfortune.

    Coulda been worse, had it landed elsewhere and triggered divoticulitis.

    I hear that's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makeup smudge, divot, whatever.

    Oh could care less -- she just hit paydirt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harry the Horse5/18/2009 7:41 PM

    Oh coulda won the Derby too. She's a mudder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aliases being my bailiwick, had Oh run the Derby her name woulda been Mine That Birdie.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...