Wednesday

The Green Velvet Majesty of Augusta National




















John Updike dreamed about golf and wrote of his dreams in prose so lovely and lyrical it inevitably makes me smile... or cry.   Really beautiful things do that to me.

Since I started writing this blog I've read volumes on the singular beauty of Augusta National so I probably should have anticipated an emotional response, but my golf roots aren't deep... my family doesn't play and I first picked up a club a mere five years ago... so I thought I'd be fine. --->


And I was for a while.  I checked my phone and car keys, had my badge scanned and proceeded along the path to the practice area.

A couple of things stood out right away: The cheerful contentment  of each and every staffer, and the total absence of logos, bright colors and garish signs.  These elements reinforce the old-fashioned gentility of Augusta National.  Concession stands and shops are uniformly green... scaled to size.  They accommodate a surprising number of people without appearing overly crowded.  Lines move quickly. It's impressive. 

So are the hills.  The course is very hilly, which is something I didn't realize, despite the endless hours of televised Masters coverage I'd enjoyed over the years.  I passed the scoreboard and climbed the first hill.  At the summit I found myself looking down on a gauzy, multi-tonal carpet of green.  There were dozens of different shades but they blended perfectly across the undulating landscape.  For a moment that view literally... absolutely... took my breath away.  Clichéd as that might sound.

I then approached a couple of volunteers, having realized that without the cell phone I'd just checked at the door, I'd have no idea of the time.  Before I could ask for the hour,  they both smiled... in the indulgent, empowering way, a parent smiles at an inquisitive child as presents are opened on Christmas morning. At this point a wave of wonderment struck me. and of course,  I'm smiling too. And crying at the same time.   


Augusta National really does have a beauty that's unparalleled anywhere else in the world, and it wraps those who are fortunate enough to walk its fairways in a unique, verdant warmth.  I count myself extremely lucky to be one of them.

7 comments:

  1. Nice story. I know it's hard to describe what Augusta National does to you because it affected me the same way. I got to see a practice round there a couple of years ago and it remains my best golf experience ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like everything you hoped for Patricia. I can't wait to hear more. Your stories will be my virtual visit to Augusta. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    well, it's what can be when money is both available and then well spent

    nature augmented by diligent care can and does yield spectacular results

    on the other hand it took some hardheaded egotistical men to stay on a tight schedule to remain, both at the same time, extremely exclusive and also ultimately a global event

    dictatorships do have their efficiencies as well as being effective

    which is why i personally have two minds about the place myself

    as for updike, he was only scrounging for a invite to play by being a brown-noser LOL to those in power at augusta (although he did deliver the best contemorary golf speech of its time IMHO at the one-hundred year anniversary of the USGA)

    have you ever been to pebble beach ? LIFE magazine has it as the ONLY golf course in its "america the beautiful" book a pictoral listing of best places in america (maybe they didn't get press credential access to augusta ?)

    patricia, hopefully you've given some the incentive to travel to augusta

    anyway be well


    frankD
    ftliquordale so FLA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to go to the Masters for years. I can't afford any of the packages I see. Maybe some day. Meanwhile, I always enter the lottery for the practice rounds but nothing ever happens. :( Glad you had a good time tho and I love hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dear.,

    I have visit your site blog its interested to visit , read and watch..


    Its very nice and informative to all news about golf girls in the world..

    I have also maintaining a site blog related to gilrs nature in the world, and it is closely related to your info..

    I have added your site blog info to my site blog blog roll for my blog visitors.. Here they will enjoy with your information..

    Please place my site blog info also in your home page for your visitors..

    We will get benefits from this exchange dear..

    This my info
    Title: Natural of Girls
    url:http://naturalofgirls.blogspot.com

    I am waiting for your positive reply..

    regards.

    killan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia...Per our meeting in Charlotte last Monday...please call me @704.6496263
    David Lavant Akins

    ReplyDelete
  7. i guess Tiger will have to start winning again to look sexy. Can't wait for 2012 masters.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...