Sunday

Bellygate: The Johan Edfors Golf Style Scandal

OK, here's what I'm talking about...anyone who reads this blog knows that I'm pretty tolerant about golf clothes. Sure, I love fashion, and I think its great when a golfer has style and looks unique and classy and interesting. And lots of today's golfers do. I've written about them on many occasions. That said, I'm not a stickler for dress codes or draconian rules on the length of a girl's skirt or the collar on a guys shirt. If we insist on too strict a dress code, we risk alienating exactly the demographic we're trying to attract to this sport; namely young people from diverse backgrounds. Right?










Definitely. However... Johan Edfors?!?

Johan, when did it become OK for a guy (never mind a professional golfer) to wear a belly shirt? At first I thought you'd simply made a mistake, and I just looked the other way. But, in fact, you're a repeat offender. Many times over. You actually like this look. There's no excuse for that, because Dude: At no time is it appropriate for a guy to pimp a stomach shirt! I don't care if you're young and hip and European, it's neither "hott" nor "kewl". It's just disgusting. Particularly if you don't wax your stomach (yeah, waxing is painful) and your six pack looks more like a keg (working out is painful too). The belly shirt was created for anorexic teenage girls. It's illegal for anyone else to ever wear one, because basically, it's a crappy look and only teenage girls can transcend a crappy look. And, believe me, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Almost everyone does.

So please follow my advice, You're an ultra talented, extremely cute, British Open British Masters and Scottish Open winner; take the belly shirts which you seem to like so much, place them in an ornate stone sarcophagus, and hope they disintegrate. In other words, Make them go away! Cause frankly, I'd rather see you strutting the fairways in a tartan loin cloth. At least that would be a style statement.

In closing I'll add that though there are some irresponsible sports journalists and bloggers out there who appear to encourage your style stupidities, they don't have your best interests in mind.

I'm telling you this because I think you're awesome, and I'm really looking forward to seeing you play at the Masters this week, but I don't want to see that look at Augusta, because it's a look that goes beyond the unspoken rules of decency.

16 comments:

  1. Two things.
    1. Edfors won the Scottish Open and British Masters, not the British Open (or Open Championship).
    2. I don't believe golf should be trying to attract youth from diverse backgrounds. Diverse ethnicities sure, but if someone wants to play in a beater and timbs, or micro-mini and skank tank, they can take their business to the minigolf place. If we attract normal children, even if they are black or hispanic like Tiger or Trevino, sure. Every time I see the ghetto children ride their bikes across the fairways stealing balls at Shawnee in Louisville, or have to play to a temporary green because some white trash punk rode his 125 dirt bike on the putting surface and tore it up, I feel that should not be the face of golf. I don't think you would hire someone who showed up unprofessionally dressed to an interview, and that behaviour shouldn't be encouraged on the golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike for the correction on Johan's winnings. I'm glad to have the info and I've amended my post accordingly.

    When I say that golf should be trying to attract youth from diverse backgrounds I don't mean that anyone should be encouraged/allowed to play in crappy clothes, I simply mean that there has to be some openness, in order to expand the audience beyond the middle aged suburbanites that make up the vast majority of today's golf population.

    I don't think the golf course / job interview makes sense in that a job interview implies work and golf recreation.

    That said, do you agree with me on Mr. Edfors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia,

    That "outing" of Johan is too kewl...hott even.

    And to Mike Nelson, I work in Louisville 2 days a week( lived there for over a decade ) and have played many, many rounds at Shawnee. It's a very, very public course and will always have to deal with it's surroundings.

    I didn't mind playing there once or twice a year, but I'd think twice before I joined and subjected myself to the whims of it's neighbors.

    I personally wouldn't wear a skanktop or bellyshirt, but do like to show off my cute legs ( unwaxed ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, GG. Hopefully you have caught this in time to keep Mr. Edfors from embarrassing himself on the hallowed grounds of Augusta National, where the world will be watching. We can only hope. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so hope Johan takes your advice about the tartan loin cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to say this is a revealing story, in more ways thn one. Why is Edfors allowed to keep doing that? Why doesn't anyone tell him it's just wrong? The worst part is the article you linked to in USA Today where they're saying he's one of the best dressed golfers around. Obviously that writer is just phoning in her stories. If she had done some research she would have found out what you found out and she wouldn't have written that story. Or maybe she likes that look. If that's the case someone should slap her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's ok, if you can pull it off. Edfors is down right hot and he's got game.

    BP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree completely that he's downright hot and got game. I just can't abide the stomach flashing style on guys. Even on girls it's suspect, but on guys I just don't think it's ever acceptable. Just my opinion though. As someone's grandmother once said, "There's no accounting for taste". (I doubt it Grandma Edfors though.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. But everything about this guy is cool. Forget about the belly flashing, how hot are the PUMA belts he wears. I've been watching him for awhile now and never noticed the belly jelly. I will be more aware in the future just for you.

    BP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bring on the Belly I say. The Stadler boys and John Daly would be my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cut the guy some slack, he's pretty tall, and looks to have a long torso...tall shirts are hard to find ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pat, though you are my twin sister i beg to differ with you on this one. men with body hair are SEXY and god bless Johan for bringing "IT" back. BTW that photo montage you did of him...it's my new desktop wall paper :)
    thanx,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for warning me Cat, I'll never use your computer again. Eeww.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I disagree. Until about 2003, I paid little attention to golf. The proliferation of (Getty)images of golfers popping out of their shirts has spurred my interest. i find Johan Edfors's stomach exposure incredibly sexy. And he's not even remotely fat.

    Honestly, I'm hoping that Luke Donald, Nick Dougherty and Sergio Garcia will flash a little belly now and then, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What planet are some people on?
    I am curious more than anything, to know more about what goes on in some people minds.
    The cultural differences between people who are not even that different.
    I read about the verdict in the Sudan pant wearing woman today and my thinking I is petty much the same in this complaint of yours right here.
    The Sudanese woman and her friends who wore pants where accused of being prostitutes!
    Your commentary makes me wonder about past issues such as having been exposed to something indecent in early upbringing or even something more serious. But how about doing some digging in regards to that before blabbering about exposed stomachs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the shirt just comes up a bit when a hit his long drives. your blogg sucks

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...