Sunday

Of Winter Golf & Christmas Trees

Danbury, CT: We got to Richter at 10:00 this morning. The scheduled shotgun was not to be. An overnight temperature of 27°(f), and the resulting frost delay, had us waiting around in our mittens and mufflers for almost an hour. We mulled about, chatting through frosty clouds of frozen breath,till the marshal reluctantly sent us off, around 11, to our respective holes. The tee boxes were still frozen solid. For the first few holes, we drilled our tees into the icy ground with frozen fingers. The sky was an ultra clear winter blue, the sun, very bright and without a ray of warming power. I have to admit, it was beautiful. There's something about winter that's pure and redemptive.

When I got home I was tired. The way you get when you spend hours out playing in the cold. But, I tackled the monumental chore that is my twelve foot Christmas Tree. Each year I cry a little when I see the old ornaments, especially the ones my Mom gave me. And each year I'm amazed at how beautiful the tree ends up looking.

That's after I've complained and whined for a couple of hours about how hard it is to decorate. Yes, complaining is cathartic.

11 comments:

  1. I played in the 12th annual "Frozen Open" this past Friday, a tourney that a friend hosts and is held on a different course every year on Long Island. This year we played at Crab Meadow, the Town of Huntington "Muni" with views of the Long Island Sound which are magnificent.

    It was cold and the winds were in the 30 to 35 mph range hitting hard and beating us down. By the time we got to 15 we were all fairly resigned to the after party at the good ole 19th hole.

    It was tough, Scottish golf for sure, lot's of "wristy shots into the howling wind". To sum it up, not a whole lot of fun but a great story that will get better and better as Winter rolls in and the first rounds of Spring draw closer.

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez...27 degrees, and you want to know why CT is voted worst golf state? Just kidding...it was 40 degrees here in Texas and I was dragging my warm butt out the back door to play. Guess I need to move my plans up for golf someplace warm this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG you're brave to go out there in those temps.

    Memories can be sad, but should be cherished. They're your connection to your past. :j

    ReplyDelete
  4. shit anon. dat motha fucka frooze open is way to cold fo ma black ass. niggas like me go back to da corna dodg'in glocks an ho's an shit. i aint gonna holla no mo you way cause da shit jus way to mo fuckin cold...it aint be chill'in fo sho ma nigga

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patricia - There are lots of indoor golf places in this area. Try Golf Training in Norwalk. I think they even have indoor leagues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ain't no nigga playas down in norwalk, yo, tru da my nigga

    ReplyDelete
  7. ain't no nigga playas down in norwalk, yo, tru da my nigga

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi GG
    Up in the (north pole) Muskoka Ontario, a group of old guys scramble to claim the latest winter golf outing. I won last year for the latest game Dec.23/06 and a buddy of mine beat me for earliest Jan. 2/07 I got out on Jan 3/07. There is no prize attached to this, just bragging rights. This year is totally different October 12/07 was our last game. What a turn around.
    No matter how old we get, we never seem to grow-up.

    I would rather be over the hill than under it

    ReplyDelete
  9. dis is an indoor golf place in your hood dats supose ta b good :)


    http://www.motiongolf.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always thought you are Jewish, no?

    ReplyDelete
  11. niggas dont be inside, dey be on da corna sling'in an tok'in an holla'rin at da ho's, yo.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...