Friday

Cosmetically Enhanced Golf - Makeup on the Greens

Guys may wish to stop reading right here.

This is a post about makeup. Not set makeup either. I'm talking about long lash mascara and shiny lip gloss... sparkly eye shadow and bronzer-for-a-sun-kissed-glow - that kind of makeup.

So let all those with Y chromosomes be warned; you're entering girly golf blog territory... OK, stay. We won't judge you.

Anyway ladies, I mean... people... here's the story; A couple days ago I was in the women's locker room at my home course. I stopped in there, as I often do, at the turn, to quickly use the facilities and check my appearance. As I was giving my lipstick and eyeliner a little touch up, one of the gals from the Competitive Ladies League dashed in and grabbed a sweater from her locker. Then she approached the mirror, adjusted her short wavy hair in her Callaway visor, and glanced over at me. "Wearing makeup to play golf..." she exclaimed dismissively, "I never understood that". In a herculean display of restraint, I didn't react. Except to mutter something quite vile and vulgar under my breath.

The way I see it, makeup is part of my golf wardrobe...an essential accessory. Like my dangly earrings. Yes, I wear those too... and I'm pretty sure the low handicap ladies leaguer doesn't.

The thing is, I think it all comes down to personal style. I'll probably never be a cropped hair and visor kind of gal, but lots of my friends are... because that's what works for them. To each his her own, right?

You know what the best part is though? When I decided to write this post I did a google search for golf + makeup, just to see if there was a conversation going on, and about half way down I found Golf Girl Makeup. It's a dress-up game from i-dressup that's several kinds of awesome. It features a wide eyed anime golf girl...one who apparently has nothing against wearing makeup on the golf course. You select makeup and accessories for her, from a variety of shades and styles, till she's ready for her round.

So gentlemen, aren't you glad you stayed for that? Just don't let your boss catch you playing with it at work.

15 comments:

  1. I don't do dangly earrings, but only because I'm easily distracted. Many gals on the LPGA do, and I'm pretty sure they are "low-handicaps." ;o)

    I definitely wear makeup. Not a lot, but I've don't wear much other times either. A little bronzer, ALWAYS lipstick and ALWAYS mascara.

    To each her own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my golf bag, I have a face towel, my perfume, toothpaste and toothbrush and freshen up after a round and go out and hangout with friends...I don't like looking all sweaty after a round.

    Earrings? yes! I wear them at the driving range too to make sure that I'm comfortable with it. You know what, I'm a new kind of golfer, I swing like a girl and smell like a girl!!! hahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see anything wrong with it. With it or without it...either way is okay. Granted, ladies probably look better with it. Most do. But as we all know some over do it. Simple is better on some. As in less is more. Maybe the other party in the locker room preferred, uhmmm...let's say...or was attracted to...possibly her own gender? Just an thought. You keep on doing what you're doing.

    (Central Indiana club member)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not against makeup on the course. I usually wear a little bit, but not a lot of eye makeup. It gets really hot in Florida and then I sweat and then all the makeup gets in my eyes and they sting.

    I always wear sunscreen and a little power so I look fresh. I am wearing sunglasses and a hat with a brim 99% of the time due to the sun, so no one can see my eyes, anyway. If we are going out after golf, I bring stuff so I can shower and freshen up after I play.

    I always wear earrings. I think it makes my tom-boyish hair in a hat thing look more feminine. I usually wear hoops, so they dangle a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wear makeup. Part of it is because I usually get 9 holes in after work, so I've already got on a face, but even on the weekends, I put something on - tinted moisturizer, powder, mascara, perhaps a little cream eyeshadow (bobbi brown works the best!) because it is a part of the outfit and I want to look cute and play well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I wear makeup while playing. . . As someone said: at the very least: tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, mascara (a must for blonds) and lipstick... Or if it's already on from earlier in the day - it stays on. Why not? I already feel frumpy in my golf attire (especially in colder weather) so why not? Doesn't hurt, but there's definitely a dichotomy in the locker room between those that wear and those that go au natural!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the eff? I started reading this as the headline made me think it was about Superintendent procedures in dressing up fungi impaired greens.

    Then I got sucked in.

    Damn you GG. Damn you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wear earrings, usually hoops, for the same reason as Lisa - I have short blonde tomboyish hairstyle. Tinted moisuriser and lipstick which I pretend are for weather protection. Perfume of course, but no mascara as I always smudge it on the golfcourse - not a good look.
    Think of another headline, Patricia, to ensnare Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makeup for Golf? OF COURSE!!!! I always wear earrings, perfum, mascara, powder blush, corrector femenine outfit. Makeup it´s and part of my dialy routine, why not for golf? Makeup doesn´t affect swing.
    I think one must be loyal to oneself, if you in your everyday life wear makeup, so wear makeup for golf, and if you are an au naturel girl, so go au naturel to the course. Make up it´s not the issue, the issue is Being Yourself!

    BTW,looking great, makes me feel better when I am starring at my awful score! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm gonna give it to you from a guys perspective... Before I play in the morning, I shave, apply SPF 15 moisturizer, and style my hair as I normally would if I were going to the office or out to dinner. I care about how I look, and I am not ashamed of that. Why would it be any different for a woman ? If your style is to look "put together" on course, that's cool. If your style is to look, um, "granola-ish" on course, that's ok too (we STILL have those individual freedoms, I think)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was younger I wore makeup everywhere, including on the course. Now I never wear it, but you won't catch me without my earrings.

    Individual preference, really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I don't feel put together on the golf course, it seems to affect my game. Same with tennis. I always wear mascara, tinted moisturizer and lipstick. I also make sure my hair is clean and styled under my visor. I care about my golf attire, why not my make-up too?

    And earrings are a must with short hair - I'm not a boy and I don't want to look like one!

    As for perfume - I don't wear it on the course - I don't want to attract insects. Just birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit that I don't always makeup on the course, but then again I don't always wear it everyday. I usually don't use mascara on the course, because I wear sunglasses and have a hat on and I have contacts. I always wear earrings, but mine are diamond studs that I got after I squeezed, I mean, gave birth to my 3rd daughter. (I now have my own personal, foursome!) some of the ladies I play with have a "full" face on - whatever. If it works for them . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. First off Patricia...anyone that walks into a room and makes a comment like that to another women..lacks in common courtesy and class...Its no ones business whether one chooses to wear make-up or not... but then again the prescence of a put together beautiful women like you brought out the "tee spikes" in her eyes!!!I love make-up always will..It makes me feel good and when I feel good "putting around" makes me feel good! Nothing wrong with looking your best and taking pride in one self..golf course or not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wear makeup on the course. At my club it's common to see a number of women post-shower doing their hair and makeup in the buff. Granted, that's after playing a round. But there's nothing wrong with any of us looking nice before, during or after a round of Golf.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...