Tuesday

The Travelers - Media Day at TPC River Highlands

We CT golfers are a fortunate lot.

In addition to a wide variety of golf courses, our pretty little state has a popular governor by the name of Jodi Rell who is a passionate golfer.

And we have a company called Travelers that is committed to title sponsorship of the historic Travelers Championship, through 2014.

And when you consider that this year's defending champion at the Travelers is Stewart Cink, the PGA Tour's most prolific and popular Twitterer and an evangelist for promoting the game and connecting with fans on a grass roots level... well, you've got to think the nutmeg state must be located under a lucky star.

Yesterday, members of the golf media gathered at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, CT to hear Ms. Rell, Mr.Cink and others talk about the historic tournament and to get to know the venue and course.

Govenor Rell is the honorary chairwomen of the 2009 event and she spoke mainly of its economic impact to the region and the charities it benefits. She didn't talk about her own golf game, but I know a little something about that. I take lessons at Golf Quest in Brookfield where the Governor learned the game. In fact, I even heard rumor that the cracked practice mirror was the result of one of the Ms. Rell's errant shots. Now there's a governor I can relate to.

All of the net proceed from the Traveler's Championship are donated to charity and this charity aspect and was brought to life by Aaron Baral of West Hartford. He's young, smart and and a cancer survivor who spoke of his battle with something called T-cell acute lymphocytic leukemia and described how his optimism and energy were restored by his experience at a Hole-in-the-Wall-Gang Camp. That's one of the charities that benefits from the Travelers Championship. Aaron will attend UConn in the fall.

And then there was the affable, and easy going @stewartcink who I felt like I already knew from his frequent Twitter updates. A dedicated family man, Mr. Cink tweets on everything from his son's LaCrosse games to his wife @lisacink's birthday. Then there were the recent post about a flooded iphone. He's a PGA Tour pioneer when it comes to social media and especially Twitter. Jason Sobel of ESPN spoke to him about his serial Twitter use and how he engages with fans stays connected on the service.

That this defending champion flew up to Connecticut for the day to meet with tournament supporters and media...before heading down to Quail Hollow where he'll compete later this week...speaks volumes about his dedication, and he spoke frankly of his hope that other players will support more events and more actively bond with fans and sponsors.
After the press conference a crowd converged on @stewartcink so I didn't get to speak to him personally. If I had, I would have thanked him for thanked him for reaching out to supporters of the game and letting them know they don't go unnoticed.

The second half of the day was spent on the meandering fairways and unforgiving greens of beautiful TPC River Highlands, which proved extraordinarily challenging for @golfgirl...I mean... me. We played with Jason Page, who hosts the Black Page on ESPN Radio, and his producer. They were they supremely gracious. And Jason gave me some excellent assistance with reading those tricky greens.

Just yesterday tournament officials received confirmation that Sergio Garcia, Vijay Singh, Anthony Kim and Stuart Appleby are all in. With Kenny Perry and Chad Campbell already confirmed, the player field is shaping up quite nicely.

As a golf fan and third generation Connecticut-er you can be sure I'll be writing about this awesome tournament... and the people behind it... as it approaches.

12 comments:

  1. ah - the fun of media day. sadly, none of the ones I've been to had anything close to the Golf Girlie !!

    Stewart Cink is a blast to interview.

    How did you play ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been amazing ... first the press conference with Stewart Cink then playing on a PGA course! I should get back to writing my golf blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good old GHO. I always loved that tournament. Maybe I'll try to get back this year. Can I stay at your place golf girl? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be happy to help you read the putting green. Any time,any place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a very well deserved blast out there, Patricia.

    Have fun the rest of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious Patricia, what's your handicap and how did you find it playing on this course, which I imagine is quite challenging?

    My handicap is 34 and a guy "friend" of mine told me I "couldn't" play Sawgrass with that handicap. Like I wouldn't even be allowed to play or if I did it would be a waste of time.

    Were going there in late May and I was wondering what you thought of that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. While you were enjoying the undulations at TPC River Highlands, I did a "double header" on both Monday and Tuesday.

    Upper Montclair CC held media day on Monday and then it was off to North Shore CC on Tuesday.

    The courses were exceptional however the heat had me at a disadvantage.

    I did manage to win the ladies long drive competition at 250 yds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Damn Stacy, a 250 yd. drive? How am I ever going to compete with you?

    I ♥ the heat though...so there's my advantage.☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growl - of COURSE you can play Sawgrass with a 34 handicap - but plan on taking plenty of ammo - there are a lot of places to lose and drown balls. And be very aware of the groups in front and behind. Pace of play is VERY important there.

    The one thing that will make your round memorable is hitting the green at 17 - ALL your friends will ask how you did there. So find the yardage you'll probably see and every chance you get, practice hitting balls that far - all carry, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great article Patricia. Very seamless and professional. I bet ol Cink is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks that you really had good time Patricia. Great work keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I just went a bit ballistic with tweets to the LPGA. I think I'm right though. As you know, I'm ducks24 over there. I'd love to know your opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...