Monday

Marianne Skarpnord Wins (with Boyfriend) in Milan

.
A six foot birdie putt... at the third playoff hole... while playing against Laura Davies?

Yes, That was Marianne Skarpnord's task. That's what she had to do to win her second LET title at the Carta Si Italian Open yesterday.

What's even more amazing is that the beautiful Norwegian was six behind with only nine holes to play. Lucky for her she brought her boyfriend Petter along.

He's her caddie you see, and as Marianne explains it, he helped her embrace those final nine holes, which led to four birdies and an eagle... and the playoff with Ms. Davies.

It's Marianne's second win on the Ladies European Tour, her first having come in May at the Deutsche Bank Ladies Swiss Open. It was around then that I met the friendly golfer on Twitter, and I was immediately impressed by her warmth. If you follow @mskarpnord I'm pretty sure you will be too.

I've attached the video below for those who don't Marianne. It gives you an idea of her style and personality, and that's probably a good thing, because this is a golfer who has her sights set way high, and at age 23, in all likelihood we'll be seeing quite a bit more of Marianne in the not too distant future.


4 comments:

  1. It interesting how many female golf pros have their boyfriend or hubby as their caddy. I'm not sure that would be best for me, but it seems to really work for some golfing gals.

    My Hubbie would try and smoke a cigar while he carried for me. I would get annoyed and probably make triple bogey after triple bogey.

    What a great comeback and fantastic dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzann Pettersen is Norwegian too right? I've always wondered how countries like Sweden and Norway manage to produce so many good golfers when their whole countries have have such a long winter?

    I'm guessing the Scandinavians are going to be very strong in Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Jennifer you're probably right. They do produce a lot of excellent golfers. I think I read that fully 8% of the population in Sweden played golf. I believe they're well prepared for long winters with gigantic covered driving ranges that have putting greens, practice areas and excellent instruction. That type of thing is relatively rare I'm afraid, even inthe coldest climates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They also seem to have better Jr. Golf Programs in the Scandinavian countries. The US needs to take a page fom their book.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...