Wednesday

"Being John Daly" and The Struggle to Be John Daly

.
From his well-documented checkered past to his whimsical checkered pants, John Daly is a unique, colorful, charismatic professional golfer with fan base most of his fellow PGA Tour players can only dream of.

His rise out of nowhere is legendary but has often been overshadowed by incidents that have put him perilously close to the wrong side of the law, and kept him in constant contact with PGA Tour disciplinarians.

John Daly has always been unpredictable, impetuous and explosive, and he never tried to hide it, even as he navigated a culture where highly-disciplined control was the ideal. JD has always just been who he is.

John Daly never set himself up as a role model. He's acted upon his impulses openly, which in light of what's happened over the past couple of months, seems almost... ethical. Or at least far less disingenuous than the clandestine carryings-on of other fallen golf champions.

When it comes to what he is, John Daly is honest. And his honesty has not always served him well.

Therein lies the real challenge. Though he's kicked the booze and shed the weight, he hasn't yet been able to give up being John Daly... being openly, impulsively, honestly himself. Which is precisely what his masses of fans - myself included - want him to be.

Unfortunately, it's also exactly what threatens to derail his recovery and compromise his comeback. It's a kind of Catch-22, and everyone knows it, a logical paradox wherein Mr. Daly finds himself loved for who he is but compelled to cultivate an image that isn't him at all.

And that's what "Being John Daly" is about. And why I'm going to watch it and reflect on it and write about it. Because when you look just a bit beyond the surface it's a compelling portrayal of the struggle to stay true to oneself while outside forces are all pulling in decidedly different directions.

And that struggle is sure to continue... on The Golf Chanel and in real life. The latest installment is a Twitter "tit-for-tat" occurring in real time, and pitting the toe-headed, once-rotund golf hero known as @PGA_JohnDaly against a Florida sports scribbler known as @GSmitter. The Golf Writer's Association is strategizing their next move and the PGA Tour is not commenting. In other words, both are essentially doing what's expected of them.

Golf scribes are weighing in on the latest John Daly debacle as well, many were indignant and others were just one stop short of sanctimonious.

I'll admit it, I probably have more in common with the one they call Wild Thing than I do with his most vocal critics... or with the collective membership of the Golf Writer's Association for that matter... and I've always been susceptible to a story of redemption. Plus, to be perfectly transparent, I've gotten to know John Daly's girlfriend, Anna Cladakis and spent time with her at the PGA Merchandise Show last month, and quite simply, to know her is to love her. Really. She's that nice.

So you see where I come down. And I may not be the most objective observer in print, but I'm a John Daly supporter, and probably always will be.

16 comments:

  1. I agree with much of what you are saying here Patricia. I have always been a fan (since 1991!) of JD and always will be. But I think his childish act on Twitter took it a bit too far. I was hoping he could show us that he was bigger than that and to not even respond at all. Or maybe respond in a more classy manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in retrospect yes John's reaction was not the right one and definitely went too far. A really piercing Tweet w/out the number would have been much more effective.... However, it was the moment, and I totally understand the sentiment because I've had it myself. The good thing is that JD seemed to feel the same. And has dropped it and moved on.

    I'm sure the writer would have liked an xtra 15 minutes. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed.

    I've been a fan forever. JD was one of the first golfers I followed—before I ever golfed.

    I greatly appreciate his honesty in a world where wearing masks appears to be far more common (and easier) than showing who we really are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see why they had to publish all the discipline reports from YEARS ago. Why? Oh, OK. they found out that scandal sells better than good behavior. Then JD should just keep doing what he's doing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in complete awe of his short game. When he is focused his wedge game and putting are equal anyone.
    Seeing him care about the game again, seeing him practice,and his pain after poor play...all mean he is back. I think John will blow our minds...he truly shines in the big ones...John will win another major!
    What odds could I get in London that both David Duvall and John Daly win majors this year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The golf writers are pathetic. They write about his disciplinary file when everyone knows he was a mess, so why go into the details? We also hear that many writers knew about Tigers problems before, and nobody messed with Tiger. Wouldn't that be more of a story back then instead of talking about JD being a mess now? Not exactly revelations.

    I did enjoy the show last night. It is not as much fun as the last show, because it is mostly about JD realizing where he has gotten himself, and realizing that getting it back may be a very long shot.

    Kudos to the golf channel as well with the new Haney Project. Ray Romano's stats are probably more in line with regular golfers (they are almost identical with mine, other than I don't have 30 years of experience, the USGA index and distances are the SAME as me). Barkley was painful to watch, this one will be a lot more fun and hopefully informative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I had stopped being a JD fan a few years back. The show won me back over to an extent. The show meant more to me than a re-hashed file. I hope I continue to feel that way. I, too, enjoyed Romano's start on the Haney Project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After what happened with Tiger Woods I'm surprised John Daly would even care about his own record being made public. The 400 + page discipline report isn't half as embarassing as what came out about Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a Daly fan but this is a good post. JD should have you doing his PR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ultimately, the only thing that matters in the end is being true to yourself.

    And that often comes with introspection and a deep look at oneself.

    Can JD do that with all the distractions whirling about him? - not so sure.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually kind of relate to JD because I'm still trying to mature as well. At 57. It's not always easy to react properly to things when you feel threatened. I can say this because I grew up in such a dysfunctional family and it stifled my emotional growth for years.

    That being said, I think he and his girlfriend are completely adorable together. I hope they try to *stick it out*. I have a feeling that she (and his buddies) can help to keep him grounded when he needs to be. Moving on without retort is a sign of maturity.

    Can I just say that there is a reason why I don't twitter? A word played is a word laid. No taking it back.

    I don't give a rat's patootie what the golf writers say (except for you & Heather). They are all just trying to stay or get published & I seldom agree with them.

    I liked the new Haney Project but Ray just doesn't have the painful swing that Charles Barkley did, which constantly cracked me up. Ray had better polish up on his jokes or I might not be watching.

    Excellent post Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post.

    I'm a former JD fan, but don't wish to watch someone self destruct. Kinda like rubber necking at an accident. I don't wish him any ill will, but feel he squandered an enormous talent. I know he's now vehemently "anti anti-depressants", but I think it's obvious that he's a melancholy soul that would benefit from some quality therapy. The self medication obviously didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patricia, what does an athlete have to do before you finally say "enough" to the boorish behavior? You have bent over backwards apologizing for a serial philanderer and alleged whoremaster, and now, in Daly, for a man who will successfully be sued for cyberstalking/invasion of privacy and should by all rights be suspended again.

    I also think that deflecting any of this back on the writer - like you did in your response about him wanting another 15 minutes - is catty. It's beneath you. This involves that man's and his family's personal privacy. He was just doing his job.

    Patricia your mantra of "I just want them to be who they are" just panders and enables bad behavior...which is bad for the game, the sponsors, and the player in the long run. It's time to stop prostrating yourself kneeling at the holy church of the professional athlete, and realize that when athletes are being jerks, readers deserve to know the truth. Not everything a famous person does is worthy of blind loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am also a John Daly supporter. With his life in a fish bowl, everyone ones watching. Those who critize probably have their own skeletons they wish to stay hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It wasn't the booze, it wasn't the food. Those are things used to medicate deeper issues which to date, doesn't seem to be what JD wants to work on. And why should he. JD has got the Golf Channel and others playing along with the poor me, poor me, gig.
    I remember when SNL did the skit on "Buckwheat has been shot". Over and over and over they described the events ad naseum. Makes me wonder what the next JD tv series will be. Maybe "JD, Strike Three".
    I'll watch when he's no longer talking about it... but doing it. At least Tiger (so far) has gotten himself into a program and working on his issues (so far).
    How about a little class JD. Talk is cheap. And you've already talked longer than you can hit the ball.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...