Sunday

The Return of Tiger and The Hollywood Ending


The 2010 Masters could have turned out a lot of ways. Think back just one week, to last Sunday night... when it was anyone's guess.

The excitement was electrifying on the eve of Tiger's return as players arrived at Augusta National from around the world. Some speculated that the cloistered course and it's privileged patrons would be plagued by the Paparazzi, and that the beleaguered returning golf champion, would be harassed by heckling fans.

Then came the press conference. A terse confrontation was anticipated and had some scribes salivating, but in the end Tiger's detractors failed to ask the really tough questions.

In the days that followed, it became clear that the fans in Augusta were, for the most part, on Tiger's side, as were his fellow players. Overall, Mr. Woods was welcomed back warmly.

As the week progressed scandal and salaciousness took a back seat to brilliant golf and Tiger took his place on the fairways and greens. He appeared a bit rusty and did not seem particularly repentant. His golf was at turns dazzling... at turns disappointing. Ultimately, he did much better than many had predicted he would.

Lee Westwood, KJ Choi, Fred Couples and Anthony Kim each had role to play in Augusta and they each played their roles perfectly, but early on it became clear; there was only one sentimental favorite, and that was Phil Mickelson.

As the Masters got underway, Mr. Mickelson's chances didn't look good. His performance, thus far this year, had been fairly abysmal. So much so, that one reader wrote of his prospects, "He doesn't have a Snowball's Chance in Hell of Winning The Masters, he may as well not even show up."

But he did show up... and he brought with him many of those memorable Mickelson moments that produce the implausible, awesome outcomes. He also brought along his children... and his beautiful blonde wife Amy, currently undergoing cancer treatment.

And there's your classic Hollywood ending, improbable in its perfect, positive simplicity and heralding the return of one of the golf's most exciting rivalries.

The 2010 Masters tournament was as good as it gets.

Photos: Harry How, Andrew Redington/Getty Images North America

17 comments:

  1. We were hoping Lee Westwood would win, he's been trying so long, but the Mickelson story is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved every minute of it!

    My heart broke for Mr. Westwood, even though I was pulling for Phil. But he was SO gracious. What an example of sportsmanship. His time will come—soon!

    I was bummed to hear the negativity from Phil-haters. I'll never get it. I don't know him, but I have been very impressed with what I've seen from him at The Memorial. He reaches out to fans in a very warm way.

    As for Mr. Mickleson's golf--watching him hit some insane, but brilliant shots, is SO MUCH FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    This is article sounds pretty interesting. I have a great fond of this sport and so far I was getting all the major info about this sport from 'Link World Golf' which is totally dedicated to golf members. Thanks for the information provided here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing weekend of golf. I too have been in the camp of not wanting to see Tiger punished and was routing for a successful return to golf. It was very difficult not to overlook the stark differences in the outcome and to see the genuine love and affection that Phil showed towards his wife. Tiger was leading a personal life of self indulgence with little thought of the consequences to his wife and family. Phil meanwhile has been quietly fighting for his. My support for Tiger is still strong but I think he still has much work to do off the course in order to truly be playing with peace in his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Linda, the contrast was hard not to notice. Tiger ending the day sullen and alone and Phil ending it jubiliantly with his wife and family by his side. But the fact that Tiger was welcomed back, largely without incident and that he displayed the brilliance, if not the consistency we always loved, was ultimately reassuring and allows hope for an exciting summer of golf ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a Hollywood ending and this one was classic. I next year it's Tiger and Elin. Am I hoping for too much. Maybe, but can you imagine how that would be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been much of a Phil fan one way or the other but there are very few tour players that use the risk reward game like Phil which I believe makes for a much more dramatic viewing experience. There's not much more you can say about Phil's shot on the 13th, I mean who else might have gone for that opportunity at such a critical juncture.
    OK, you can now mark me down as a true Phil Fan and with his commitment to his wife/family, breast cancer research and educational programs I am truly in awe of him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true that each of the players brought something special to Sunday. I hope we see those guys on Sundays throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post Patricia. The 2010 Masters reads like a fable or a cautionary tale in a number of ways. The obvious message is "Phil the faithful hero wins, surrounded by his loving family while Tiger once glorified but unfaithful ends up a lonely also-ran. But in fact Tiger really isn't the villian and as you point out he was welcomed by fans players and everyone in the golf industry... everyone that is except the true villian which is clearly the media, and particularly some in the golf media. And they know they've lost with Tiger. He's back he's being welcomed and he's STILL not giving them the respect they think they deserve. So you know where they are now? They're groveling around trying to dig up dirt on Phil Mickelson, that's where. Just wait a couple of weeks. I can almost guarantee you the same writers who were obsessed with Tiger's private life will have moved on to Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so right Lang! There's already lots of rumors going around they're saying Amy Mickelson had an Affair with Michael Jordan and Phil Mickelson had an illegitimate child with a prostitute. That's less than 24 hours after Tiger drove away through the gates at Augusta. :\

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phil's always been my man so I couldn't be more pleased.
    I for one wanted Tiger to lose this first one back. He's no superman. Give some positive press to the other guys on the tour that are so deserving. Actually though, I'm sick of the press!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved it all!

    Being English I was routing for Westwood after Poulter dropped away (or 'Pretty in Pink Poulter' as one UK commentator called him. I loved his outfits, and his almost flares!! ).

    But at the 13th I changed my support to Mickelson - (fortune favours the brave!) and Westwood seemed to have begun to play far too conservatively.

    Anthony Kim was another favourite, always so calm, controlled, and always smiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thirty hours or so after the end of thetournament and my head is still sorting it out. I'm truly happy for Phil and his wife. Other great stories besides whatever everyone has decided on the return of TW.

    Barnes was a good story. Westwood of course. Besides Phil's win, I think I was happiest for Anthony Kim. His best years are yet to come. He is truly a talented and fun player to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Probably the best four day Masters in my memory. Even the Thursday excitement was numbing and Sunday was wonderful...

    My esteem level for Phil has risen three-fold. I believe his personal wonderfulness is somewhat contrived, but I do feel he has finally become the second world class golfer on the planet. It's about time, we've been waiting fourteen years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phil Mickelson so deserved to win and that long hug with his wife Amy at the end of the round made his win even more precious...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome and wonderful blog piece! ;-)Great stuff ~ you made such wonderful points. Thanks for sharing AND I love the way you did the art on the Phil pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rooting for Lee, but Phil is my man! Cinderella story! Well done man!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...