Wednesday

A Golfer's Hidden Gem in Southeastern Vermont

















In an economy that's still somewhat shaky, those dreams of far-flung golf destinations may have to remain on hold for a bit longer. But if you're the type of golfer who likes to explore 18 in a new setting from time to time, you're probably trying courses within a given radius... and just hoping for the best.

This method doesn't always yield the desired result. I know because some of the courses I've played on of late have been decidedly disappointing. But when Tom Bedell suggested I try the Brattleboro Country Club in Brattleboro, VT. I didn't hesitate. Though a bit outside of my range... it's 2 1/2 hours from my home in Danbury... the idea of golf on an early summer day in the foothills of the Green Mountains was quite appealing, and the fact that it was Tom's home course... and a course he described as a "hidden jem" convinced me it would be worth the trip.

Mr. Bedell is a member of The A Position, a network of the world's best golf and travel writers. He's played on courses around the world, and chronicled his golf adventures in the pages of Travel & Leisure Golf, Golf Connoisseur, Virtuoso Life, Lexus Magazine, Acura Style, Tee It Up, American Way, The Met Golfer and many others. His opinion is one I trust, and my visit to southeastern VT yesterday confirmed that conviction.

I'll be telling you more about the course a bit later today, so be sure to check back this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I can't wait to hear more about the course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a ski house in Putney when I was growing up. It's a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i play in vt quite a bit and there are gems in every corner of this beautiful state. one of my fav's is in brandon, vt. right off route 7 north of killington and south of middlebury - it is called nesobe golf club - half in the mountains and half on the side of the mountain overlooking cow pastures - this part of the course has a links-like feel to it.

    the best part is that this is primarily a local(s) course, so you don't have to play with a bunch of asshole vacationers from ct and ny - whose bullshit stories are as old as the "oldest member" ag neshobe.

    try it, you will like it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...