Saturday

Ryo Ishikawa Poised to Pounce at the Mizuno Open

撮影:岩井康博  / Photo: Yasuhiro Iwa
Upon his return to Japan last week... after a T30 finish at the US Open...  Ryo Ishikawa spoke with characteristic humility, admitting, "I came to painfully realize just how big of a gap there is between me and the rest of the world"

The Japanese golf star... like golfers, golf journalist and golf fans everywhere... was reacting to Rory McIlroy's huge win Congressional Country Club. "He's close to me in age so it's been incredibly motivating, Ishikawa explained, "I hope I can get to that level myself one day." And at nineteen, I think it's safe to say that Ryo Ishikawa has time on his side.

Ryo is the youngest of the what Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee calls the three R's: Ryo, Rory and Rickie, an ultra-hip, uber-talented triad of young gun golf stars with aliterative forenames.

Tomorrow at the Mizuno Open, the young Mr. Ishikawa will be going into the final round, "poised to pounce", after shooting Saturday's lowest round of the day. Two shots behind the South Korean co-leaders, Kim Kyung-Tae and Bae Sang-Moon, Ryo finds himself in a tie for second with yet another South Korean, Cho Min-Gyu.

The DM I received this morning from my Ryo-afcionado friend Noriko, included a link to the photo above. "I think you love this photo" she wrote tweeted, Ryo got two eagles today."

3 comments:

  1. It's good to see him doing well over there. As you point out he's still young and it would be a shame to see him succumb to pressure which must be intense. I look forward to seeing how he does at the British Open next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rory, Ryo, Rickie... I think it's going to be virtually impossible for any of them to ever have the kind of record Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods have. Today there are just too many golfers from too many places being trained too intensely from a very early age for any one to be able to dominate for very long. Tiger's reign marked the end of an era in that sense, and despite what some say I think it would have happened regardless of the scandal and perhaps even without the injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sergio's in second in Germany too. This could turn out to be a great weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...