Tuesday

Home Decor for the Single Minded Golfer

Golf Home Decor on Pinterest
"Les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas"

When it comes to home decor, that succinct French expression says it all.  What it means, roughly, is "there's no accounting for taste" but the French version has an authoritative Gallic edge that's untranslatable.

The point however, is ultimately the same, and it's the reason some love decor that's Trendy (modern/minimal) while others embrace the Traditional (old-fashioned/ornate).

That brings me to golf decor... and the third T.   Decorators and wedding planners know what I'm talking about.  The third T stands for Tacky (tawdry/tasteless/trashy) and with golf decor... like any decorating style based on a theme... there's a heightened tackiness risk that requires a bit of restraint. 



Collectible overkill, a plethora of plaid and argyles or too many portraits of Tiger will turn a golf themed room or home into a cloying, Disnefied shrine that would be wearying for even the most avid aficionado.

Parties, weddings and restaurants can take a theme more assertively across furniture, artwork, lighting and accessories to create "an experience".  At home however, the goal is generally day-to-day life and an ambiance that's relaxing and timeless.

These days, decorating ideas from all over the world are being shared online.  Pinterest, the enormously popular new social site I wrote about here a couple of weeks ago, lends itself particularly well to the task.

Early on, I created a Golf Decor board on Pinterest with some images that inspired me. Others have done the same, and while it's true that Les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas" if you're seeking inspiration for decorating with a golf theme, you're bound to find some ideas that work for you.

Some boards and pins to check out:

Masters and Golf Decor Ideas

Golf Parties

Golf Weddings

8 comments:

  1. I was the recipient of a particularly vile piece of golf decor a couple of years ago. It was a kelly green toilet plunger with hollow transparent plexiglass handle. The handle was filled with golf tees. Even as a joke it was obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the ladies tee sign!!! That's something you'll never see on a golf course again... I hope.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're not thinking of regifting that thing Shark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eye chart = Amazing. Its much nicer than D E F P O T E C.

    Where can someone find that chart?

    Marketing on pinterest now? It actually gets more referer links than Twitter with half the user base.

    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^ I meant referal links. sorry for the typo >.<

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, isn't that amazing. I just love the visuals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, isn't that amazing. I just love the visuals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's cute. I like how you are incorporating your lifestyle into your home decor items. It really shows a perfect, personal touch. I think it's really great and good for those that visit to get to know you a little quicker.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...