Inspired by Icy Winter Golf and Elegant Black Balls

Here in CT the landscape has been snow covered since mid December.

I've been strengthening my swing in the simulator... and I practice putting on my Persian carpets... but right about now I just want to get outside, in fresh air and natural surroundings, and actually play. And it's only the snow that's stopping me.

The hearty golfers of White Bear Lake, MN, did not let the white stuff stop them this past weekend. They held the second annual Bear'ly Open, an 18 hole tournament affiliated with the St. Paul Winter Carnival.

Proceeds from the event go to local foodbanks, and by the looks of this clip, a good (if somewhat chilly) time was had by all.

While the Bear Lake golfers tend to use bright orange balls... or even tennis balls... in their glacial golf tourney, I'm thinking a fiercely elegant black golf ball from edgy indie golf brand, Golf Refugees, would be more my style. ...And, I suspect, these high-tech balls with their heat absorbing black covers are a great way to combat cold golf ball syndrome.

Actually, I'm looking forward to trying Golf Refugees' black golf balls on snow-free courses too... as the weather warms up and the official CT golf season finally begins... because their Thermal Distance Technology works all year long.

UK based Golf Refugees also produces edgy collection carbon neutral organic cotton polos and t-shirts, and - how awesome is this? - a disposable golf bag. Check out their website ...and their blog... but traditionalists beware: These guys are not afraid to mix it up.

Meanwhile, I've got my eye on a frosty par three just outside my window.