Monday

Inspired by Icy Winter Golf and Elegant Black Balls
















Here in CT the landscape has been snow covered since mid December.

I've been strengthening my swing in the simulator... and I practice putting on my Persian carpets... but right about now I just want to get outside, in fresh air and natural surroundings, and actually play. And it's only the snow that's stopping me.

The hearty golfers of White Bear Lake, MN, did not let the white stuff stop them this past weekend. They held the second annual Bear'ly Open, an 18 hole tournament affiliated with the St. Paul Winter Carnival.

Proceeds from the event go to local foodbanks, and by the looks of this clip, a good (if somewhat chilly) time was had by all.

While the Bear Lake golfers tend to use bright orange balls... or even tennis balls... in their glacial golf tourney, I'm thinking a fiercely elegant black golf ball from edgy indie golf brand, Golf Refugees, would be more my style. ...And, I suspect, these high-tech balls with their heat absorbing black covers are a great way to combat cold golf ball syndrome.

Actually, I'm looking forward to trying Golf Refugees' black golf balls on snow-free courses too... as the weather warms up and the official CT golf season finally begins... because their Thermal Distance Technology works all year long.

UK based Golf Refugees also produces edgy collection carbon neutral organic cotton polos and t-shirts, and - how awesome is this? - a disposable golf bag. Check out their website ...and their blog... but traditionalists beware: These guys are not afraid to mix it up.

Meanwhile, I've got my eye on a frosty par three just outside my window.

13 comments:

  1. Wow does that bring me back! As a figure skater growing up in MN, I performed many times in a skimpy costume on frozen lakes for the St. Paul Winter Carnival. BRRRR! I'm not surprised to see Minnesotans out on the course/lake during the winter. No amounts of cold, snow or ice can keep them from having a good time.

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had a rare hard freeze followed by snow here in North Carolina, and it kept my home course (I live off 17 green) closed most days over the past ten.

    It was killing us -- we're spoiled compared to you folks back up north. Usually in the winter, a couple hour frost delay in the AM is the worst thing we see.

    On black golf balls, I have a couple of "8-Ball" black balls that I keep in the bag for the occasion of closing out a weekend match.

    Thankfully, the Super Bowl is this weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  3. (oops, forgot to conclude)

    and the Florida Swing not long after that. The PGA and springtime then start moving northward, bringing green grass and warmer weather with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles, we can't get it soon enough!!

    I have a black PUMA golf dress. I'm definitely getting me some black balls to Match. I like the Golf Refugees logo too. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunny and 60 here Wednesday....and we have an open slot in our foursome at 1:10. www.delta.com

    Come on down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. For those in need of golfing fix during times of unplayable conditions, do consider a round of Puttle instead. Played indoors during the worst of storms will prep you for that first time out. Fun for all ages, really.

    cheers
    Mr Puttle

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like a lot the images in your blog

    what do you prefer, blogging or golf?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maryland has been the beneficiary of Global Warming over the past few decades and our winters have been relatively mild. However, this year, the temps are staying in the 30's and my course is like a rock. We have our 'hard cores' out there, but I get to play 140-150 rounds per year in good weather, so I am grateful I do not need a 'frozen fix'...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you own your own simulator? That's dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god it's sooo cold here in CT... golf seems like a distant memory. I'm jealous of your time in the simulator - I need to really bust out the putting matt (ie the carpet) already!

    Closest golf I've come to is Tiger Woods on the Wii ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have been thinking about using the black balls at PowerPlay Golf for our professional tournaments when they opt for a PowerPlay. But have heard mix reviews on visibility in normal conditions, NOT snow!! - Which I'm sure they are great in, although you better be good out of plugged lies! Anyway, would love to hear anyone’s comments when you use those little black babies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, tennis balls are generally used in snow golf since regular balls plug too easily in the snow.

    I've never actually played, but I'm thinking about buying some tennis balls this weekend ...

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...