Sunday

Cristie Kerr Goes for the Green on Fifteen... and Wins the Michelob Ultra Open

.















With her win today at Kingsmill Golf Resort, Cristie Kerr became the first two-time Michelob Ultra Open Champion.

I watched the tournament with a crowd at the restaurant where I had brunch today. I'd coaxed them away from the Yankees and the PGA, which was a challenge, but once they started watching they were hooked. It never fails to happen with LPGA tournaments.

Then, at the 15th hole, after being locked in a tenuous four-way tie for much of the final round, Cristie had to do... what she had to do. And it was something she hadn't done in the first three rounds: she had to go for the green... with her three wood, from the fairway of that par-5 hole. Her ball landed on the green and rolled to the fringe. Then with a two-putt for birdie she took the lead.

Typically, I had to get into my car at that very moment, for the twenty-minute drive back home. So, resisting the temptation to text at the wheel, I pulled over twice on the way for updates, the second of which revealed that Cristie had won the tournament.

Having spent time with Cristie Kerr and witnessed, firsthand, her dedication to golf...the way she applies herself relentlessly to the game, the competition, and all that goes along with it... made her win today resonate with me in a very special way.

With Cristie, over the course of a few days I saw some of what goes into being a champion, and it was much more than I had ever imagined.

Congratulations, CK!

*(AP Photo/Steve Helber)

17 comments:

  1. Cristie Kerr is by far my favorite player. She's so pretty but so intense. That is a magnificent combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christie is great! She is a really clutch putter. I bet you had a great time when you got to visit with her. It is hard to imagine how hard the LPGA players work to be so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard her dedication and committment is unexplainable. Hard work pays off. congrats to Cristie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her consistency is what makes you know how good she is. That she's consistently up there towards the top of the leader board, week after week. That's sure not easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Christie Kerr. She obviously deserves it. I admire her guts and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty strong from Kerr - I'm thinking she likes this tournament. :-)

    What the heck happened to Ochoa ?? She hasn't had weekend rounds like that in years...if ever as a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to the best roll model in golf. Cristie Kerr it the golfer I want my daughter to look up to should she decide to pursue her dream of an LPGA career.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christie Kerr shows everyone else how it's done.

    She proves that a woman golfer can be beautiful, sexy and strong - AND WIN!!! - without having without wearing micro mini skirts and posing in a bikini. The game need more players like her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cristie has more wins than any American woman in the Ochoa era (2004-present)

    And, she is very pretty. And although she is not Sophie Sandolo or Anna Rawson, I bet more guys from her high school have jumped off a bridge when they see how she looks now compared to then...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever since I saw the Golf Channel thing on her...can't recall if it was playing lessons or what...I've liked her a ton. Just an extremely real/likable person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen the interviews Cristie has done at tournaments as well as the pieces she's done for the Golf Channel and I think it's crazy that the LPGA doesn't promote her more. Of the American's playing today, not only is she the most consistent golfer, she's also the most articulate and appealing speaker, and IMO, the most attractive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I'd coaxed them away from the Yankees and the PGA, which was a challenge," ...

    Next time bring pizza, Pat. Everyone knows that a slice and a coax is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I conKerr: On in Two Created Kerr Coup.

    Mickelson-type gamble shots as such could only boost LPGA ratings.

    Cristie's on the brink(ly) of superstardom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having worked for a mag for a number of years, I know how difficult it can be sometimes for editors to choose which cover story to run with.

    Not unlike yesterday's dilemma: whether to cover Cristie Kerr's terrific round or cover the (alleged) fact that one woman was somehow able to commandeer the remote at a high-class eatery and convince the clientele to switch from the Yankees and/or The Players Championship to watch an LPGA event.

    What the hell was she wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christie has got unbelievable determination, my fav player tour. She's off to win way more tourny's.

    Great blog, I've subscribed :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad Cristie came back so strong after coming close at the Kraft Nabisco Championship. Winning takes care of a lot of things and she definitely seems to be on her way to a great season. I'm happy for you, too, Patricia. It's fantastic that you've had the opportunity to team up with CK.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I work most of the Mich Ultra every year ~ Christie is awesome, as are all the LPGA players we get here! Let's just hope that by having Christie as the winner of the 2009 Mich Ultra, we will be more likely to get a sponsor for next year ~ as it looks like InBev will not be renewing the contract. All you Corp Execs out there ~ they need you!!! This tournament has been voted BEST OVERALL more than a few times by the LPGA players themselves!!! And has been nicknamed as the "5th" Major!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...