Monday

Golf and Makeup - The Conversation Continues
















Thanks Ashley... for bringing that up.

We discussed the whole idea of makeup on the golf course a couple of weeks ago, and quite a number...no scratch that...the majority of lady readers revealed that they play golf in full war paint...or at least a touch of tinted moisturizer...and why the *bleep* not?

A well-formulated foundation (or tinted moisturizer, if you will) actually protects the skin every bit as well as zinc-oxide did when it was opaque and white and adorned the noses and cheeks of the cutest lifeguards on the beach back in the 80s 90s.

Nowadays however, makeup can look totally natural. Um...I mean natural but better, which is what we want, right?

... And that's why many LPGA golfers wear full makeup, when they're playing in tournaments or pro-ams. As in: foundation, lips and eyes. Skin is protected, photos look better, confidence is boosted...it's a win/win/win!

But...what to do about the dreaded shoulder smudge. Ji Young Oh, winner of the 2009 Sybase Classic, had it, I've had it too. So has Ashley who encouraged me to further explore this subject after leaving the above comment.

Ashley's solution of matching her clothing to her makeup may seem extreme...not to mention limiting... but it's certainly more economical than dry cleaning.

In the cooler weather, you can wear a water-resistant jacket (like the FootJoy model Ji Young was wearing) that can be cleaned with an alcohol-based product like Windex (remember a certain Greek wedding?) But it's the light colored sweaters and pastel polos one has to be careful of, and I'd go so far as to suggest avoiding such garments if you're planning on playing a competitive round in makeup.

The other solution would be simply not to wear makeup, and that's fine... for some people. Not for me.

11 comments:

  1. Amen to everything!!! As what I always say, "The swing looks bad, but at least the view looks better." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still hoping the "in" colors for shirt and sweaters the fall are creamy beige and soft honey. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Davis Love III playing at Pebble Beach a couple months ago I swear he was wearing makeup. I wonder if guys get should smudge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck yeah, I wear the full make up. I didn't even know it was up for discussion, more like a given.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm one to wear eye makeup and lipstick every day and don't ever wear foundation or blush so I do the same when I golf. I'm not bothered if anyone doesn't approve of it. You can be a golf punk and a girly girl all at once so why not rock it!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, all you ladies could simply keep your head down while you play the game instead of keeping your head drowned in gook while you do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chief Plays-With-Words5/19/2009 11:48 AM

    If young Indian woman wear heap too much war paint, she lose Battle of Green Hills, not win brave.

    If we talkin' squaw, then no mean squat.

    Chief leave town now.

    Chief no fool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wear as much makeup on the course as you want, ladies. It might help with your approaches, but us guys can still see you coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "And that's why many LPGA golfers wear full makeup, when they're playing in tournaments or pro-ams. As in: foundation, lips and eyes."

    Nah, I don't buy it.

    I think that's all just a rouge.

    I hope I spelled that right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frankly, I only wear makeup for tournaments. On just a daily playing basis, I like to go chemical free. Besides, at my age, I actually look better when playing without makeup. Rather my *accept me the way I am attitude*.

    And yes, it always ends up on my shirt collar when I perspire, so what's the point, really? However, when I was younger I never even left the house without makeup...

    It's just that nowadays I'm too smart to clog my pores with makeup & sweat. Yuck! I'm a purist like that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, I can't stand it when my guy friends hit a bad shot and want to cry on my shoulder, given my new wardrobe I just can't let them do that anymore...

    funny golf story Patricia... LOL

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...