Monday

Layers & Leggings - Creative Cold Weather Golf Options

.
Have you noticed that every few years someone tries to bring leggings back?

Well, I have. I've also noticed that each time they appear... controversy inevitably erupts. ~ The look is definitely debatable... always a wee-bit dodgy.

There are myriad ways to wear leggings, and the fact that they conform so closely to the contours of the body makes them perfect for layering. But not everyone likes (or looks good in) the same kind of layers. And that's where much of the controversy comes in.

Leggings are here again this season, in a big way. The footless tights are finding their way off the American Apparel billboards where they've been provocatively presented on the beautiful young bodies of barely legal hipster chicks for several years now. This fall all kinds of legging styles are marching onto city streets and into suburban neighborhoods... and they don't always end up on perfect bodies. Which can be problematic.

And what about when leggings venture onto golf courses as they did this past weekend at the rain-soaked LPGA Tour Championship? Anna Nordqvist - who won the much delayed tournament today with a stellar 65 - sported a "layered w/leggings" look a couple of times during those blustery days in TX... to decidedly mixed reviews.

Now let it be said that Anna is tall and well proportioned, and any criticism of her outfits certainly can't be blamed on her physique. Personally, I loved the looks, however before the last players were off the The Houstonian's lush fairways, I had received an email with observations that were... less than glowing: ~ "Watching Miyazato and Nordqvist - both look like they could be wearing a body stocking, or at least leggings, with a wrap around skirt. This just looks silly to me...especially when they don't even go all the way to the ankles !!"

OK...I haven't seen Ai Miyazato's version of the look yet but I have a feeling I'll like it as I tend to like most of what she wears.

At first I attributed my friend's unfavorable impressions on his steadfast respect for golf's traditions. He's that type of guy. But when I started asking around I realized that many... if not most... men hate the "layered w/leggings" look.

Take my husband for example. Recently, when I attempted to affect a look similar to one that Korean golfer Jeong Jang wore (above) a couple of years ago, Nick told me I looked... get this... "clownish". Which, of course, I absolutely didn't! After all, what does he know? GolfWeek's awesome Ashleigh Korzack cited Anna's outfit as a "Look of the Week". ~ Then on Facebook I found dozens of groups that dealt with the pros and cons of leggings... and that's where I became convinced that "legging lust" and "legging loathing" are largely Mars/Venus-based reactions.



So I like the look and I think it's a great way to get creative with your golf outfit on a chilly day, but what's your opinion of leggings on a golf course ...on the ladies of the LPGA and/or on reacreational golfers? And what about layering like Anna did with the adorable (IMHO) Puma skirts? What do you think? Awesome, acceptable or a categoric no?
Photos: Getty Images

24 comments:

  1. I think leggings and skirts look cute - on little girls. Personally, I don't know why they just didn't wear pants if they are that cold. But I am a more traditional dresser to begin with (think Boden).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's super cute on Golfing Daughter, but I'm not sure I could pull it off on the course.

    It makes sense from a layering aspect, but I think I'd want them covering my entire leg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look, but body type has a lot to do with it. Jeong Jang looked awful, but its is because she is 5'0" tall with a little pudge on her.

    Anna Nordqvist is 6'0" and lean, and the leggings make her look more athletic and like less of a giant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's what it is - you women claim that leggings are for warmth...but Miyazato's only went to her knees and Nordqvist's were halfway up her calves. Anybody who wants to stay warm knows that you have to keep the extremities warm.

    Maybe Heather and Meg hit it on the head - it's a LITTLE GIRL look where things just get thrown on because she doesn't know any better.

    Miyzato looked like a mental patient who didn't know how to dress herself - and Nordqvist was wearing some sort of short Hawaiian skirt wrap around thing that looked horrible with everything else.

    I get the whole wanting to look feminine with a skirt - but that did not look very feminine. If you want to stay warm, just put on a pair of pants.

    Then again...I see women in open toed heels and short skirts in the middle of winter - so logic just goes out the window with women. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. as a guy...I don't find it all that attractive. I will agree..on a tall athletic woman it it can work. It is a bit like Sinead O'connor's shaved head...not everyone can pull it off.
    But...as far as my girlfriend is concerned...anything that keeps her warm on the golf course is fine by me..if she likes it...I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear leggings under a skirt a lot at school or work, I think it's a really cute look and practical too (less worry about what's showing when you sit down, get up, bend over, reach for something... etc.) The funny thing is I never wore them together for golf. That's about to change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna looks far better sans leggings thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fact that women have the right to branch out this way, to me it maintains femininity and beats the hell outta some other options for warmth and style. I like the look and it makes sense too. I'm not a fashion horse, but after I bought a rain coat at Dismal River Club and then fielded many compliments, I decided everyone was more enamored of the name on it than the fact that it was only 3/4 sleeves! How stupid is that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a golf slob. My wife is a golf snob. She wears the fancy outfits. If only I could get her to wear the leggings.

    However, leggings don't appear to me to be all that warm. Where's the function? What about your ankles and calves? As layering "underwear", leggings are effective. But, as an outright outfit playing in 45-50 degree temps good luck.

    Those poor ankles and calves will get cold, cramp, and suffer possible injury. Achilles injury due to clothing error in cold weather is just not fun.

    Where "em" in the spring time ladies when the temps rise into the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say this, I killed that fashion when I was a teenager that to me it reminds me of what Meg said, for little girls.

    Ai, no, her legs are not goodlooking, okay there, I said it! if it was Natalie Gulbis or Tania Elosegui wearing it, I would have said yes they can, but Ai doesn't have nice legs to wear legging and my gosh, the leggings were too whort making her look like a dwarf. I'm not mean, I'm just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna? she just really need to spice things up, she has the looks but my gosh, she really needs some fashion advise because she can play, she can have enough media attention because she's got the looks, to me, her shoes just didn't make her up the hill, almost there, but then NO.

    Ai? seriously? I want to tell her, "Do you know about Harujuku girls?" if they find out what you are wearing, they will be livid!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I love them, although I actually wear runner's leggings that zip at the ankle... with a tunic length top. The thought of exposing a *Camel's Toe* completely terrifies me. Besides, at my age, I'd look ridiculous in a little skirt over leggings, playing golf. And, I would hope that if I did go out sporting such an outfit, someone would kindly take me aside & explain the facts of aging to me.

    But you know what? If I were younger I would so be all over that style. Only the hard bodies should try this... otherwise, leave it alone.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    I like to wear leggings under a skirt a lot at work OR Office Ours,
    It suits us and it is very much comfortable to wear, Too smart and least but not last it is more comfortable for Golf Games.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wear leggings to play golf frequently when it's cool, underneath rain/wind pants. My feeling is that Nordqvist and Miyazato looked a little silly, but style is personal, so I don't really care what they choose to wear. It's an extension of their personalities.

    CG, on the other hand, is soooo jealous that women have some fashion flexibility and he doesn't. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm personally not a huge fan of leggings. They do look cute on certain people, but that is a very small percentage of the legging wearers. I always thought it was funny that Tim Gunn (from Project Runway) despises leggings, yet they seem to be so popular right now. Basically, if you're over 14 years old and are in doubt, then you probably shouldn't wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah I like it - layers are flattering.
    Seondly, it is practical.
    Thirdly - and I'm not just saying this to gain brownie points - it is nice to see ladies on the golf course with the freedom to express themselves. I play with dozens of guys all year long who wear almost identical clothes to each other!
    Lastly, I know my daughters would be more inclined to play golf after seeing Anna Nordqvist than watching someone with grey or cream chinos and a stripy shirt! That's got to be good hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. On the golf expressing themselves ?? Oh geez - hand me a barf bag.

    Mark - you go to the golf course to (1) play golf and (2) usually be with good people. You wear clothes that you like. If you're going to the golf course to "express yourself" by the clothes you wear, you're not there to play golf.

    That is one of THE lamest of the politically correct statements of all time...and the ONLY reason to say it is to suck up. (so on that part - good luck to you !) (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I see why you might think that. But fact remains you can do both. I have a good example - Ian Poulter. I'm pretty confident that he likes to express himself through his choice of fashion - yet he also is 'there' to play golf. The two are not mutually exclusive.
    Where I play golf we have certain clubs and inter club competitions where the dress code is very strict and dare I say it 'a little conservative'. You wouldn't be allowed to wear a mini skirt over leggings whether you had the legs for it or not. So one man's barf bag is another's ... well actually I have no idea what a barf bag is...
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, come on, CG. Let your inner fashionista loose. You know you'll feel better for having done so.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been wearing leggings for a couple of years when it is a little cold. My husband laughs at me and calls me a bag lady...but what does he know about fashion. KPJ

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this post1 Been wearing leggings under my skorts for that last couple of years and never noticed anyone else doing it. It's a great alternative to pants for those chilly early-morning tee-times. My husband makes fun of me every time, but glad to see other are doing it, I feel much better! I am adding a line of leggings to my online boutique (www.golf4her.com) for those that want to give it try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now that it's 2014 and I'm reading this article, as I JUST started playing golf, I'm assuming most of the people who voted "no" are now realizing that these women were ahead of the curve fashion wise! Cheers to them.

      Delete
  23. Here it is 2014 and I too am seeing if anyone else but the girls at our club do this. It really is genius, we live in Orange County Ca. and tee off at 7am when it can be in the quite chilly. By the time we make the turn we are up by as much as 30 degrees. We just take the leggings off and we are climate ready for the back nine. On days when it stays cold all day and you still want to wear that cute skirt, (I'm 54, I don't wear "little short skirts", nor does our dress code allow them) many of us ladies wear opaque tights to match our skirts (Hue @ Macys). Cute, warm, flattering & comfortable to golf in
    .

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...