Tuesday

Sergio Garcia's New Haircut Gets Mixed Reviews

.
Who'd've guessed Sergio Garcia would create such an endearing social media presence?

A relatively late adopter, he's only been part of the social media landscape since the beginning of the year. Sergio Garcia shares the kind of intimate details fans love to hear... but don't often get from athletes or actors. ~ He posts lots of photos too... snapshots actually, the kind we all take these days.

His fan page reveals a lifestyle that... not surprisingly... revolves around golf, but which also includes lots of normal stuff. He hangs out with friends, cooks, works out, goes to restaurants. And he babysits. In fact it's pretty obvious Sergio loves kids. (ladies with dreams of a white picket fence, take note)

A couple of days ago Señor Garcia got a haircut and promptly posted the results of Facebook and Twitter. It's a distinctive look ... kind of Jersey Shore meets PeeWee Herman, and not everyone likes it. But many do, myself included {shocking!}. There are over 85 comments so far, ranging from the admiring; "Anything looks good on you!","Me Gusta" and "Yum!" to the rather less definitive; "Hmmm, not so sure I love it."

The thing is, whether Sergio's social media presence is being handled entirely by Sergio himself, or by a PR team, it's being done effectively.

For now the Masters is upon us and some of us remember Sergio's... um... issues there last year. Let's hope he can avoid such things next week. In any case I'm guessing we might get more of an inside look this year, thanks to the new-found social media savvy of a certain Spanish golfer.

BTW, I've got him winning, as I always do. ...and I'm not the only one.



13 comments:

  1. In all fairness, Mr. Garcia would have to really TRY to look unattractive. However, I like a more sophisticated look myself.

    Still, we all like to try something new every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife still thinks he's the best looking golfer on tour. He could probably get a mohawk and that opinion wouldn't change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it'll be the Masters but I do think Sergio will win a major this year. Once he does I don't think it'll be his last either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have my $$$ on him, but it wouldn't shock me either. Nothing does anymore.

    The haircut makes you remember that he's just 30. For a while there he was looking closer to 40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer it a little longer, but never mind. Heather's right, Sergi would be sexy no matter what his hair looked like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks gay. I don't know what the women see in that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The European golfers do tend to be more individualistic then we do over here and the often look much cooler.

    Girls do seem to like Senor Garcia no matter what he does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks like a penis. ...Fitting.

    and I'll take Paul Casey, Ian Poulter, Ernie Els, Steve Stricker and even Tiger over Sergio at Augusta. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should have spent styling money on psychiatrist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been to a few PGA tour events where Sergio was playing and it's clear to me why he's so popular. He's one of the players who really cares about the fans even when he's not playing that well. He takes the time to sign kids hats and balls and really talk to them. Maybe his relationship with the media isn't the best, but my family and a lot of other golf fans love Sergio. Cute haircut too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a golf fan to the extent that I would go to a tournament but I do watch it on TV and (try to) play a couple of times a year in company tournament. Sergio is one of the players I know and like and I'm glad to see he has the right idea with his social media efforts. Exceptionally, as you mention he (or his agent) is creating the kind of person-to-person engagement that makes sites like Facebook and Twitter work. It's very good.

    So many athletes and brands are just using them to spew out updates, without any thought to how fans will benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend wore a halter-top once and was sent to the proshop for a polo shirt. So it does happens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sergio's haircut is nothing new, especially here in Europe. In fact, my waiter in Verdura, Sicily (http://www.verduraresort.com) had one on his head.

    Besides, there's been Tin Tin for over 80 years.

    http://www.tintin.com/#/tintin/persos/persos.swf?id=2&page=0

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...