Saturday

Dear Japan, Why is Your Golf Stuff so Damn Awesome?


I try not to look, because when I do I tend to get frustrated... and wind up in a state of agitation, stress and anxiety.

Well this morning I succumbed.

Knowing it would be a full day of writing, editing and admin, I convinced myself it wouldn't hurt to take a quick peek at some of my "To Read" bookmarks.

I breezed through the WSJ story on the waning art of stamp collecting and the Times Online piece on male vanity. Both were interesting and well written.

I was about finish my bookmark break with Slate's No Hipsters in China post when my eyes wandered over to my "Don't Look Here" bookmarks. To make a long story short, I did look there and just one stop... here... was all it took. Within a few minutes I was overcome with lust. "Japanese Golf Product Lust" to be exact. It inevitably comes over me when I'm confronted by images of alluring apparel and awesome accessories that aren't unavailable on US shores.

The orgy of Ryo-licious colors and Momoko-dorable styles always begs the question: Why them and not us? At least it does for me.

Anyway, after overdosing on the likes of Golden Ratio, Kappa Golf and the ultra-Japan-tabulous Dance With Dragon, I finally tore myself away from the tantalizing display...

Yes, I'm back to work. But after my little Japanese golf fashion foray I'm having a bit of trouble focusing.

7 comments:

  1. The Golden Ratio golf shoes are indeed Japan-tabulous! Wonder how much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skorts at Dance with Dragon are the cutest ever. They have soo much detailing. There's something the Japanese see in golf clothes that we don't. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash, me thinks you really don't need all those details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just golf! The aesthetics of Japan, its architecture, arts, crafts and cinema are very special. We're just back from a week in Tokyo and I'm in the process of organizing my hundreds of photos. The gardens and traditional architecture or the Tokyo street style and... the shops. They do it all like that and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're talking about apparel but the same applies to golf equipment. They make the best clubs in the world. They're forged not cast like most of ours are and they cost several times what ours do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot! Like I didn't have enough to do, now I'm converting yen costs on golf skorts. ;o)

    Some really great stuff, would love to see it offered here.

    Golfshark is correct. Their technology is fantastic, but the costs reflect the extra work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! Over here in Asia there are a lot of awesome golf apparel that don't cost a fortune. We are fortunate. Golfshark is right about the Japanese golf equipment too. I use the Japanese Honma Beres clubs. Once you start using Japanese clubs you tend to stay loyal with them.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...