Friday

Golf Apparel & Accessories: The Asia/America Disparity - Part 1









I've often marveled at the sheer variety of golf apparel and accessories available in Japan... not to mention the unabashed whimsicality of many their designs.   You may have seen my musings on the subject right here a time or two. Or ten.  

Well, once again I'm pondering the puzzle of Japan's disproportionate, golf-product plenty.  This time due to a online encounter with the item above.

It's a putting mat, and it's pink... and that probably seems implausible to many here in the US because... who would ever buy a pink putting mat?   Particularly one emblazoned with hearts and flowers, like the Women's Flat Putt L.

East/west cultural differences not withstanding, I think it's safe to assume that this product is targeted at a young, female market.  As would be most of the items featured here, and a seemingly endless number of similar sites.  Clearly, there are many dozens of Japanese companies large and small, targeting this particular golf demographic... each offering a plethora of product in a multitude of colors. 

The abundance isn't limited to the young ladies market either.  When it comes to golf stuff, men, women and juniors... avid and occasional golfers alike... all seem to be served with a dizzying array of options in Japan and remarkably, one notices that in addition the voluminous offerings of local companies, US companies like Callaway offer an impressive selection of products exclusively for Japan.

Here in the US, our choice of products just seems to substantially more limited than in Japan... and that's what I've always wondered about... because when you look the number of golfers in each country the disparity doesn't seem to make sense. What is it that makes the two markets so different?

With the game's increasingly global reach this is a timely topic, and a couple of weeks ago it inspired a lively LinkedIn chat I'll talk about later today tomorrow in Part 2 of Golf Apparel & Accessories: The Asia/America Disparity.

Read Part 2

7 comments:

  1. Doubly interesting when you consider that the vast majority of Japanese golfers never make it to a golf course with real grass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our local golf course in the Dallas suburbs, I saw two Japanese women golfers wearing very short, boldly colored skirts and white, window pane fishnet stockings. Very sexy, but very distracting. The middle-aged Japanese gentlemen who accompanied them gave me dirty looks when I passed by and smiled at the younger ladies. Did they think that would stop me from looking at their women, who obviously wanted to be looked at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A casual observation... I see a lot of older, middle-aged women playing golf in my travels to courses here in the U.S., but I don't see a lot of younger women (darn). Maybe a lot of women don't take up the game actively until they are past the trend-setting fashion age. Maybe the statistics prove me wrong, but that's what I notice.
    Dave A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tell me about it, I even saw "Hello Kitty" pink golf tees yesterday. what's the target market for that, 5-10 year old female golfers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if Paula Creamer will pick up one of those pink putting mats on her next visit to Japan? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave Andrews: "I see a lot of older, middle-aged women playing golf in my travels to courses here in the U.S., but I don't see a lot of younger women (darn)."

    One nice effect of reaching senior age is that they're all now young babes. And, truthfully, I've met quite a few mid-40s women who look like they're 27. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NO MORE complaining : there is now an independant brand with a different kind of look

    jan-d-golf.com

    Hand signed , Hand made , Sterling Silver jewelry for the upscale golfer , BOTH in the USA and in Japan !!

    jan

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...