Tuesday

The Wonderful World of Winter Golf

I'm writing this from my office in Danbury CT at 5:15pm. It's 31 degrees outside right now, the dark night illuminated only by a waning harvest moon. It's windy enough to make it feel 10 degrees colder. I'm getting ready to head out to the driving range. The range is heated of course, but it's still daunting to go out on a winter night. We're closing in on the shortest day of the year, so it'll soon be getting better. That's how I comfort myself, anyway. All these winter images got me to thinking about Sweden. Despite it's frosty climate and long winter nights, Sweden seems to produce lots of high level golfers. It's estimated that 6% of Swedes play golf, one of the highest percentages of any country in the world. Obviously the stalwart Swedes are out on the range in all temperatures and weather conditions. Are the Euros just tougher than us? I mean, check this out: In the French Alps they even play snow golf. So that's it, I'm not going to be a wimp. I'm ready to face the harsh winter night. And spring can't be that far off, can it?

11 comments:

  1. Hey wait a minute. We play winter golf here in Minn. I don't know about California golfers but we're much tougher then the French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the driving range three or four times a week here in MA all winter. My only complaint is that theres never any beautiful women there at this time. I think its women who have the big problem with cold weather. If you come up to MA I can keep you warm *c:o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia: You are not to be going to the driving range after work this week. You are to come directly home, put on the costume, give me my massage and make my dinner. Thank you.

    (Jim Furyk, you rock)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny Nick!!!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Texas all you have to do is wait a day and things will be back to normal. 70 today. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter is not fun. The high today is 26. Going south sooooon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I guess I am a wuss then. I live in San Antonio and it was about 36 degrees on Sunday when I went out to play. It wasn't the cold it was the wind that made it horrible. It must have been 10 degrees with the wind. I only played 9!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snaphook,

    Up here in the North, we would not call you a wuss, rather, we will call you a pantsy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say, now that I'm playing golf I wish it would stay warmer around here. Winter is beautiful and romantic in it's own way. But when it's windy...well that takes a lot of the romance out. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick -
    You owe me a dry cleaning bill for the slacks that now need to be dry cleaned after I spit out my soda when I read your comment...
    FUNNY stuff...
    Oh, and Patricia AND Nick - the weather here in Thousand Oaks registered 86 blissful degrees this afternoon, and the leaves are SPECTACULAR this fall - we had a horrendous humidity streak all during July and the trees were stressed, but are now ABLAZE with color...
    Our winds have died down, as have our brush fires, and we're heading towards "Tiger Time"...
    Check out the Target World Challenge on USA and ABC next week.
    The long-range forecast on Accuweather.com indicates potential RAIN (EEK!) on Tournament Saturday - hope they foregot to carry the one in their calculations and we get another 80 degree, sunny, cloudless December day to warm your frozen cockles...

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...