Friday

Le French Golfer and Le Daly Disaster

Right now it looks like French golfer Raphaël Jacquelin might soon be kissing another cup as he leads at the BMW Asian Open. He's currently got a three-stroke lead over Lee Sung of South Korea after the second round. 2005 champion Ernie Els is seven off.

Meanwhile, disaster struck Daly as Long John missed the cut today. Disaster not so much for JD himself, as for his sponsors, who paid him an undisclosed appearance fee in the hope he would attract huge crowds. In the end, John seemed almost indifferent, explaining that "...the golf course doesn't suit a guy who hits it long," and adding, "It's one of those courses where you have got to go out and hit four and three irons... that's just not any fun for me." - OK, I can relate, I hate three and four irons too, but I never rarely get paid an appearance fee. - To add insult to injury insolence, Daly four putted on the second to last hole, when he carelessly knocked a one-inch tap-in five-feet past it and later quipped, "It didn't really matter then. I was out of it anyway" Not the attitude the sponsors generally hope for in such circumstances, I would guess.

But back to Raphaël. He's been playing really well of late, in fact, he got to this same stage last week at the Volvo Open, only to have a weekend meltdown. I'm hoping he'll pull this one off. As you may know, Nick, my caddy/photographer/husband is French so I'm a bit partial to those who wear the blue, blanc, rouge. Check out Rapha's site to get a little glimpse into the world of a French golfer. Like me, it seems he enjoys Côtes du Rhône and it's très cool to seem him hitting golf balls in front of the Eifel Tower.

5 comments:

  1. He's s French golfer with a hot wife. I sure wish I was this guy. Actually that almost describes me except that I spend my days in a cubicle while he's out swashbuckling. I hear you need a license to play golf in France. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hate to say it, but it looks as though JD's career is on the trail ride into the sunset. As usual you have a great report. What is John's problem...Excuses. There is no need in John acting this way. He is looked upon by so many kids who dream of hitting a golf ball as far as he hits it...and for him to act and say the things he does really does not help the game of golf..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor ol' John.

    I hate it that I was right about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure I'm happy too of this victory, a very elegant player, and nice guy, a little too discret ou shy (timide) to be a "star"
    very good comparaison in your post with Daly : Two persons completely differents, at the opposite.
    I prefer Raphael, by far !
    too bad, his website, very well managed in the past by his woman is now given up.
    hope he will actalize it again soon and have great success in future majors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, people here don't realize that the majority of French people are really nice...because they're not demonstrative in the same way Americans are. They're just more reserved. That's the culture and it's often mistaken for arrogance.

    Rapha seems really sweet and nice.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...