Thursday

Does Golf + Poker = Goker or Polf?

Either way the two worlds seem to be merging lately (or at least collaborating)... to the delight of some and the chagrin of others. Golf bloggers have begun covering this trend as have some other sports bloggers, who don't normally focus on golf.

Last month the ruggedly handsome (gratuitous, I know) golf blogger William K. Wolfrum wrote a perceptive post that highlighted the upcoming World Series of Golf, a new tournament to air on NBC that incorporates elements golf and poker in a formula so unique it's patented! Then, a few days ago, the prolific penmen at Oobgolf posted on "The Ultimate Game" another new "high stakes" tournament to take place at the Wynn Las Vegas in June.This one's being produced and televised by FOX. Snarky sports blog Deadspin covered both events, albiet briefly, so did uber hip-hop bball blog, You Been Blinded. Yeah, I think this qualifies as a trend...or maybe just a fad, we'll see how the shows do.

In any case, I'm all for it, you want to know why? Because...little known fact...Nick, though not a great golfer is an amazing poker player. Really. And he's promised to teach me. Soon. Next year were hoping to be in France for the Golf Poker Tour. The 2007 event is taking place right now and it sounds awesome. So before long I might be starting a new blog, I think I'll call it, Poker Girl's Diary, and one thing's for sure, I won't be the first girl to combine golf and poker...

















...Cristie Kerr raised $140,000 for the Breast Cancer Research at her "Birdies for Breast Cancer Charity Poker Night."

6 comments:

  1. Poker has always been part of Golf....it is the way the bad golfers win their money back from the good golfers...what changed is the good golfers also got to be good poker players. Golfers are great poker players...it takes the same risk factor in golf as it does in poker...it is just hard to play poker and golf at the same time....holding a flush in your hand while your making a three foot putt for $100 is hard to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago, before I resigned my private club membership after becoming a father of twins, I witnessed many regular 19th-hole poker games stashed deep within the exclusive backrooms of the clubhouse. Many dollars we're exchanged in these cocktail and smoke-filled sanctuaries and I admit a moderate participation in this cult. A few of these boys were able to bring the same skill and daring that won their golf bets directly to the poker table. I was not one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my Vegas trips include both...I come up a lot poorer but I always have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so is Vegas a golf town with a gambling problem ..or a gambling town with a golf problem? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as it's not strip poker. I wouldn't want to see the folks I play golf with neked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Golf + Poker = Go Fock 'er

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...