Thursday

Golf Girlfriends Can be... Problematic

...or so it seems from this article in the most recent issue of GQ magazine, and I think there's an element of truth to it. Here in the US golf is often strictly considered "something a guy does with other guys", part of its attraction being the opportunity to bond with guy friends in an atmosphere unrestrained by the presence of women. Not to say that all American guy golfers feel this way, but I believe many do, and I was quite surprised to see that this was not the case in France...at all. One immediately notices that the golf culture in France is much more evenly divided between male and female... to the extent that it's rare to see groups of men playing without women. I've got to say that felt strange to me...or at least, foreign.

Intrepid girl golf blogger, Fairway Flapper, posted about a recent incident in Northeastern PA that illustrates why wives/girlfriends might not always be welcome on guy's golf outings. Caution: it involves strippers, breasts and lap dances, those who might be offended by such things please avert your eyes.

6 comments:

  1. My visit to Royal Troon in 2000 revealed that the club allowed women to play but were not allowed in the clubhouse. Not sure what they did when HRH was in town...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard lots of stories like this lately. What is it with guys and strippers? :<)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several years ago I was playing golf in Myrtle Beach with a buddy...I think it was the Island Green course... and the starter placed a lady golfer with us. She was a really beautiful woman, a great golfer, and great athlete. She was really distracting. Picture a Supermodel in short shorts teeing up her ball. Our game deteriorated. At the turn we started drinking and then her game went south, too. On the 18th, I don't think that any of us had a shot in the fairway. This may sound stupid, but sometimes men need to play golf with men so that they can focus on golf. I love lady golfers, but sometimes they are distracting.

    Please keep teeing it up.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever caught my bf on the course with a stripper he'd never find his balls again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant his golf balls, I'd hide them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to head down to Myrtle Beach this weekend and hit Island Green. Here's to hoping.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...