Sunday

Another Golf Cart Crash

There have been several golf cart accidents over the past few months. Some are believed to have been alcohol-fueled acts of carelessness, others remained unexplained.

The most recent happened on Friday night in Livermore, CA. sent 5 people to the hospital, three of them with serious injuries. In fact, one woman is currently in critical condition. The cart, in this case, appears to have been a six person model - which I never even knew existed. A local police official has speculated they may have been going too fast.

Though I much prefer to walk, I often play with golfers who insist on carts, and I've got to admit I'm frequently quite reckless when I take the wheel. I don't know why - my adrenalin junkie gene I guess. Anyway, I've resolved to change my reckless ways. These accidents have showed me how easy it is for careless fun to go bad.

From now on I intend to obey the rules of the road cart path.

5 comments:

  1. the usga recommends walking - it is healthier on many levels - in the era of 3 wheel push carts i don't see the point in driving around - you just miss too much

    i just bought the bag boy 360 three wheel push cart - the tires are the newer,solid spongy rubber type that do not require air - a very nice piece of equipment.

    the way i look at it, with all the money i've saved by not renting a cart 2 to 3x per week i can put that savings into equiptment upgrades - top of the line shoes, putter, wedges, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 6-person cart was probably in use at an apartment complex, or some other non-golf venue.

    They use those a lot around here (DFW) to show apartments, etc, where the complex can take up 2-3 square city blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I was about 14, my friend was driving the golf cart and I was a passenger. he was driving downhill on wet grass and cutting to the left. I yelled at him to slow down, but he didn't and we spun out. we could have easily flipped. I was so angry that I got out and walked the rest of the way. that was on hole 17. then, as an adult, a friend of mine thought it would be cute to drive up behind me really close, and he ran over my foot somehow. Again, I was angry. he knew I made some of my living from running. Those carts are dangerous. walk if you can. You never see Tiger Woods in a cart, do you? follow his example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carts. Bad carts. Nice on a hot day though, especially on a hilly course like the one at Wente Vineyards...and don't even think of going into the rough to look for your ball. We know someone who was bitten by a rattler there. Not in the brochure, but there may be a caution sign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Walking is half the fun (for me anyway!) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...