Thursday

Vijay Barclays - First Round Disaster

I can't believe this.

Defending champion Vijay Singh just played an unbelievably awful round here at the Barclays. I say here because I'm just about 20 minutes away from Westchester Country Club confined to my desk and office. I'm hoping to get down to Harrison on the weekend, but right now I'm just like, whoa...this wasn't supposed to happen. In an interview yesterday with Joel Schuchmann of Bunkershot.com, the tireless Fijian did reveal that he was still adjusting to working with a new trainer...on a totally new set of workouts, and admitted he was "hurting in places I've never hurt before". That could be part of it, but according to Hudson Valley golf blogger and Barclays expert, Alex Meyers, his round even included a 4-putt on the 14th hole. And he's now in a tie for 124th place... and I'm very depressed.

To take the edge of my disappointment and perhaps inspire a better day for Vij tomorrow, I've created the first Fedex Cup Cocktail Contest entry.

It's tropical drink that reflects the Pacific Island roots of the fabulous golfer. Based on the iconic Singapore Sling, for the Vijay version I've replaced the gin with dark rum and the Cointreau with simple orange juice, making it slightly darker in color and slightly lower in alcohol than the original. It's a drink inspired by Vijay's mixed ancestry and extraordinary athleticism.

The Vijay Singh Sling

1 oz dark rum
1/2 oz cherry brandy
4 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz lime juice
1/4 oz orange juice
1/4 oz benedictine herbal liqueur
1/3 oz grenadine syrup
1 dash bitters

Combine all of the ingredients in a shaker, fill with ice and shake until the shaker is well frosted. Strain into a tall glass and garnish with a slice of pineapple and cherry. Here's to a better day tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. nice mixture. saturday i'm heading out to montauk for the week and as much golf at montauk downs as my wife and i can possibly get in - the "vijay sling" will make a nice addition for after hours relaxation.

    thanks golf girl - your the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a homo drink to me. Hey montauk boy are you a homo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Golf Girl, I just sent you my recipe for Sergio Garcia Sangria. I think it might be the winner. We had it tonight with Paella. I'm slightly tipsy, my hubby is hammered. G'night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. now, this is a contest to my liking!

    I've got the idea started... I better make up some samples!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...