Saturday

Vijay Singh - Friday at the Travelers Championship




















I finally caught up with Vijay yesterday, on the ninth hole, where he finished his second round with an inauspicious bogey.

He's still very much in contention though, four back on the leaderboard with Corey Pavin, one of his playing partners yesterday.

Later, in the media center I overheard an intrepid reporter recount (...and I'm paraphrasing liberally here) that when he had asked Mr. Singh, immediately after the untimely bogey on the ninth, how he felt he was playing, Mr. Singh suggested, curtly, that the reporter go ask Corey Pavin (who had parred that last hole) the same question.

Classic Vijay. Much to the chagrin of golf journos, his "kiss my ass" attitude towards the press...the one that was so unambiguously articulated at the 2000 Masters, has never really changed, and watching him yesterday in Cromwell I definitely had the sense that it could bubble to the surface at any moment. It's palpable in his body language, gestures and facial expressions. Aloof, parsimonious...and unapologetic, this player has a presence that no other player has. A highly complexed presence that makes him seem larger than life and quite foreboding.

Regardless of all that, I'd love to see Vijay Singh win the Travelers Championship. And I think there are many others...golf fans, and yes, journalists, who would too. Despite his seemingly sanctimonious recent statements regarding some of the younger UK golfers, despite the memories of his misogynistic musings at the Colonial and despite clashes with the press too numerous to mention.

I think we'd like to see him win because we sense such an unyielding dedication to golf, a dedication that almost seems primal. It's reflected in his notorious work ethic and the fact that he's here at this tournament like is at lots of tournaments most many of the big names, simply skip.





















Later in the afternoon I found myself on the far side of the grounds at the awesome new practice range. And there was Vijay Singh, with his coaches relentlessly...practicing.

He's teeing off for the third round about now. I'm not in Cromwell today but may go tomorrow. The forcast is calling for rain but I'm hoping it holds off. Needless to say, I'm also hoping for Vijay victory.

Vijay Singh... do you love him or loath him? I don't think anyone is so-so on the subject of this golfer so it's got to be one or the other. Let me know what you think.

Photographs © Golf Girl Media

14 comments:

  1. Well GolfGirl, Vijay held on today, sort of at least he still has a chance at it, and yes I'd like to see him win too. Might make the rest of the season worth watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know he's a great golfer and all that but I can't get over the "mysogynistic musings" from several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that Tiger is not going to be around for a while someone better step up to the plate. Vijay Singh is the only one who's done it in the past, but I'm not at all sure he still up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I love this guy. With the Way Cink is playing, he is going to have to have a great round tomorrow, But I like his chances. By the way, just found the blog, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Golfgirl - now you've got my ire up! Vijay is just about my LEAST FAV on the tour. Exactly what you describe is what I can't tolerate -(and haven't been able to tolerate for years, despite his long practice regimen) His holier than thou attitude is ungracious and overbearing. Overconfident, too, I might add. His attitute towards Annika's play at the Colonial years ago, cemented his low standing in my eyes. He violently objected to her 'taking a person's place' as if Annika wasn't even of human origin. Excuse me, but last I looked, Annika is indeed 'a person.' He can disagree with her play, certainly, but not be so NASTY about it. I think he's a nasty nasty man. As my daughter would say at this point, "But Mom, tell me how you REALLY feel..!!" ~Nikki @17fairway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, he's definitely nasty. Arrogant and dismissive also come to my mind, particularly after having seen him live.

    On the course, with his impeccable physique and nonchalant stance, he comes across as the classic villain.

    So, how I REALLY feel? I like him. I've got to admit it.

    In spite of everything else, I think he has one of the most compelling back stories in golf; He's faced extraordinary obstacles in his long career. Obstacles that had to do with racisim and classism and exceptional economic hardship. He prevailed by sheer determination and ultimately became of the greatest ever.

    As far as the 2003 Colonial incident with Annika, there have been many stories over the years but the one that is now taken as the truth is that Vijay Singh was misquoted as having said that Sörenstam "didn't belong" on the men's tour and that he would not play if he were paired with her, when what he actually said is that he would not be paired with her because his playing partner was being selected from the past champion's pool. He later clarified, saying that "There are guys out there trying to make a living. It's not a ladies' tour. If she wants to play, she should —she,or any other woman for that matter— if they want to play the man's tour, they should qualify and play like everybody else."

    He's definitely controversial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a minute there it almost seemed like Vijay might do it this time, actually though, Cink was more overdue for a win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He may seem aloof but he does do a lot for charity, with the Vijay Singh Charitable Foundation and eagles for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. I tend to think he's misunderstood and often misquoted by golf writers and others who see him as the only one who's ever really challenged to Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still no win for Vijay this year GG and there won't be one. Vijay is over - move on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's finished 2nd twice on the PGA tour in 2008. Don't count him out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a condemnation of a person and his entire life based on one comment at one tournament. that's brilliant.

    true - he got a little carried away at The Colonial over Annika being in the field. but it's pretty obvious that you don't know anything about the guy outside that one statement.

    yes - he is stoic and focused on the golf course. it's his job. he has been the #1 player in the world in his time. he takes his job VERY seriously.

    BUT - I have seen him stop his practice when a little kid wandered onto the range and played with him before giving him back to his parents. like most top golfers on any tour, if he stopped to talk to everyone who wants to say hello, he'd never get anything done.

    Last year, he volunteered to play in a "pro-am" at the Tour Championship. This was not a regular pro-am - it was just for a small number of sponsor employees and management who had earned the opportunity. The day got rained out, so they turned it into a clinic and luncheon. Vijay stuck around to teach one of the areas and then sat on the dais (sp?) for an hour answering questions. He had the room cracking up.

    the guy is no villain. I'm guessing you wouldn't want some stranger condemning your entire life because of one comment you made one time in your life. I'm not saying that you should be his biggest fan - but the condemnation is a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also the cheating allegations factor into the dislike of Vijay...

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golf/news/2000/05/16/teeing_off/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn right,Andy - you just can't trust those pre-luggage condition reptiles...oh...allegations...I thought you said allegators....

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice.......

    http://wallpapers123.blogspot.com/2008/08/indian-paparazzi-pictures-actor-vijay.html

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...