Sunday

The 2008 British Open - Final Notes

For only the second time in history, the British Open has been won by a player from the Republic of Ireland, Padraig Harrington.

The first time was last year, and the winner was... the same Padraig Harrington. So Padraig is now the first Irishman to win, the second Irishman to win and the first European to win back-to-back, in a quarter of a century. And that's impressive... And it makes me quite proud as Padraig is a distant cousin of mine.

Of course the huge story of this windswept event at Royal Birkdale was Greg Norman.

In the end, it was another "what could have been" story for a man who's had so many of those in his golf career. But this one was way different from those of the past, from those bitter defeats and monumental meltdowns in what were meant to be his glory years.

This year Greg Norman's Open Championship story was in no way bitter. You can't really be bitter when you're a newlywed, playing at such a high level, at 53, and you've achieved as much as Mr. Norman has, both on and off the course. With a two-shot lead heading into the final round yesterday, Mr. Norman ultimately came up short, resulting in a tie for third. Nonetheless, his 2008 British Open adventure was totally unexpected, universally uplifting and an extraordinary inspiration to watch.

Finally, anyone who knows me, knows I've been a huge fan of a certain stylish Englishman since the beginning of time...well, since the beginning of this blog anyway. That, of course, would be the fashionable, fun-loving Ian Poulter, and I've occasionally taken some slack for my fidelity to a golfer known mainly for his clothes or... total lack thereof. Ian's golf was overshadowed by glittery slacks or offbeat head gear. Off course, he had a predilection for posing nude...and then there was the "me and Tiger" statement that caused such controversy early this year. Well, in a rather discreet white-on-white over pale pink outfit, Ian Poulter carded a one-under 69 yesterday for a second place finish, and most are now seeing beyond the flashy fashion sense to the solid golf skills that may well land this player on the European Ryder Cup. Much to my delight.

The quintessential windy, gray, English weather was also part of the story, coming into play as it did, throughout the tournament. In the end, despite the absence of Tiger Woods, The 2008 British Open was both inspiring and entertaining... and that's exactly what I want from golf.

Photos - Stuart Franklin / Getty Images

11 comments:

  1. "the first to win back-to-back in a quarter of a century"...if you skip Tiger Woods in '05 and '06.

    He is, however, the first European to repeat in 102 years since James Braid did it in '05 and '06...that's 1905 and '06.

    I know you were pulling for those pink pants, though ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Open. I was glad that someone took hold and executed down the stretch. I would also have liked to see Poulter there, but the missed birdie on 13? and the 3 putt par were killers. Good thing Harrington took control, otherwise we'd be talking about how Poulter lost a chance on the greens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to see Norman at that level at his age!! Could you tell me any sport where a 53 year old me can be close to defeat the youngsters?
    I will remember this Open by Chris Wood, what a talent!!! Could you imagine any sport where an amateur can play in the same scenario and the same day as his idols?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @courtgolf - Re: back-to-back, I added "European"...cause that's what I meant ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Greg Norman thing is still warming my heart.

    What ovidio said is true about golf. The range of ages that can win are greater than in most other sports as are the experience levels that can win. Golf involves so much more than physical strength and is truly a sport where nature and natural forces play a big role along with the athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wwwweeeelllllllllll - not really. Tom Watson isn't a Euro - he was the last to do it before Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh oh, my mother's maiden name is McCain I hope than doesn't make me a cousin of John. LOL.

    I definitely like Ian Poulter's more conservative look. It's still modern and distinctive but no longer as crazy as a couple of years ago. I guess he finally grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wtf happened to Phil? He really doesn't seem to care much, does he?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Patricia. I didn't see any of the action as I was on the beach for most of the weekend.

    I've always admired Greg Norman. I guess he could have won more majors but hey.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The quintessential windy, gray, English weather....."
    Isn't grey/gray the new black?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great wrap up. I think a lack of match fitness was probably the reason for Greg's dramatic last day slide.

    And keep up the praise of some modern, stylish golf wear! It's about time we pulled some of the archaic elements of the sport into modern times. It reminds me, I need to buy a white belt...

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...