Thursday

Golf Digest Brings Sexy Back with Upcoming JT Cover

Leave it to the well connected, fashion-forward golf guys at Styled to a Tee, to tip me off on this:

Justin Timberlake is doing Golf Digest. The cover, I mean. Isn't that brilliant? I think it is.

The popular grammy award winner, with a single digit handicap, will appear on the November issue and will most likely generate interest (and news stand sales) way beyond the normal base of dedicated golfers and golf fans. In fact, I won't be surprised if a number of these issues find their way into the hands (and hearts) of teenage girls... who've never even held a golf club. And that's what I like about the idea.

I know there'll be some golf curmudgeons purists who'll complain that an actor/singer/entertainer, no matter what his handicap, should not grace the cover the publication they aptly consider, "the paper of record for the sport of golf".

Some will probably object to JT's awesomely untraditional golf wear by J. Lindberg. Others will bristle at his sometimes salacious lyrics:

*...dirty babe
You see the shackles
Baby I’m your slave
I’ll let you whip me if I misbehave...


Yes. Admittedly his lyrics are a bit... on the racy side... and those are the printable ones. But that's the way lyrics are today. And Mr. Timberlake's songs are as likely to be playing in the Cafe on the Green at your prestigious suburban Country Club as in an edgy urban nightclub.

The fact is, our national (and global) culture is changing. Golf culture has to keep pace or it will become impertinent and unpopular and worse yet... inaccessible to all but a select few. And I don't want that to happen, do you?

For much more on Justin Timberlake's impressive golf resume, and Golf Digest's bold decision to feature him as their November cover model, check in with the guys at Styled to a Tee. No one knows the inside story like they do.

* Lyrics
from 'Sexyback', Justin Timberlake

4 comments:

  1. hmm - why am I thinking that GG reached for her whip when she got wind of this story ?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for JT to do the cover thang. Anyone who can't beat him and his 4-10 handicap, shouldn't say a thing ;-)

    My daughetr who does a fansite for him - http://justin-t.org/ - will be delighted too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a JT fan but I think it's great to have him on the cover of GD and to have him playing golf.

    Our sport has a real image problem. It's perceived as boring at best ridiculously exclusionary and mean spirited at worst. Meanwhile we who play it know how wonderful it is.

    We all need to work together to broaden it's appeal and get more people playing.

    If you want it exclusive you can still join a CC.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...